cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we really need any more of this rubbish.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do we really need any more of this rubbish.

Apologies if this is what you like, but for me it seems that the studios are just caching in while things are 'hot'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49060944

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Pro

Re: Do we really need any more of this rubbish.

I've enjoyed some of the Marvel films, and thought that others had far too much CGI "blockbuster" content for my taste, and also assumed that you already knew about the characters. 

Still I suppose they're aimed at fans, and if you don't want to watch them you don't have to.

Plenty of other films to watch.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that there is other stuff to watch @Minesapint but I don't care to watch it either. I like to watch (British) Detective series like Morse, Endeavour, George Gently, Life on Mars, Line of Duty, Jonathan Creek, Foyle's War to name a few. Not everyone's bag I know, but a lot more believable than some of the stuff available. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Just wondering why no male actors want to muscle in on playing versions of Snow White, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Not enough action maybe so how about Mr Boudica, the man who strikes terror into the heart of Rome!

Highlighted
Pro

Whereas I cringe whenever I see yet another police detective series coming up.

Usually ends up with the culprit giving a full confession. Deus ex machina. . .

How about another subject for a change?

But as I said, I don't like it, so I don't watch it.

Personally I like good sci fi.

There's not much of that.

(Not sci fi detectives though!)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minesapint wrote:

What do you mean?

I don't watch Sci-fi as most of it's rubbish to be honest, for example a light sabre where the light is of a fixed length and hard where you can fight with it! Even light from a match goes on to ∞ but some how some one's managed to contain it. My head can't cope with it.

Highlighted
Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

@Minesapint wrote:

What do you mean?

I don't watch Sci-fi as most of it's rubbish to be honest, for example a light sabre where the light is of a fixed length and hard where you can fight with it! Even light from a match goes on to ∞ but some how some one's managed to contain it. My head can't cope with it.

Another subject as in something else apart from rather dim detectives chasing even dimmer criminals. Smiley

Sci-fi, you can have anything you want. It's fantasy, escapism, and requires a bit of  suspension of disbelief.

The only "suspension of disbelief" I need when watching detective shows is when they actually catch anyone!

They'd worn the formula out when they made "No Hiding Place" Smiley

Still we all like different stuff as I said.

I'd rather watch anything rather than "reality TV"  

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Most if not all sci-fi requires suspension of disbelief big time - and nothing wrong with that. We all need a bit of armchair escapism and I just love it m'self - but it has to be good à la the first Alien movie or the first Cocoon. 

Superhero stuff? Nah, can't hack those, although having said that the Superman movie in '78 with Brando in a bit part was quite good.  

As for those detective shows they are based on reality and suspension of belief can be difficult especially when the script is banal, the acting lousy (easy to spot as they pull in jaded 'has been' actors) and they stretch a series beyond breaking point as with Inspector Morse who should have been allowed to rest in peace without some dull wanabee trying to fill his shoes if not play his music.

Not blaming Kevin Whately, but John Thaw must be rolling in his grave.

Highlighted
All Star

Where are all the westerns some of us used to watch..Wagon Train,Bonanza,Maverick,Have Gun Will Travel........Thumbs_UpRoll_eyesRoll_eyes

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

Alias Smith and Jones.  Smiley

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Left behind along with our childhood... for some of us anyway, although my old Dad used to love a good western!

Highlighted
Pro

I tried "Deadwood" but it wasn't for me. 

I quite enjoyed "Hell on Wheels"

The Western seems to have lost popularity though.

I will say that I enjoyed the first series of "Happy Valley" as far as cop things go.

But I'll watch anything really if I like it.

Sad to say that the Americans seem better at doing series than we are.

I was disappointed that they let the new series of Survivors go.

Random thoughts really.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

For me the only good things from Marvel recently has been some of their TV series like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, and the Punisher.

Trouble is they had too much blood and guts realism for Disney so they have all been dropped. All we will get now is fluffy cute Stars Wars or Star Trek which is now hard to tell the difference between.

Now it seems the first thing considered before anything is will the show generate nice cute characters that can pat kids on the head at some theme park. Or will the characters newly found pc credentials generate lots of free publicity.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I want some Tom and Jerry type laughs, but I reckon their relationship would have to become same species, or one or the other would need to be transavian or transfeline.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

You do know Tom and Jerry are not real don't you.  Wink