cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they really need the data?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do they really need the data?

Some thieving little git nicked the electric fence energiser from my orchard a couple of weeks ago. We'd put up the fence to prevent sheep from wandering in and damaging the fruit trees. The device was hidden by us from public view, but the fence wire and warning notices is a bit of a give away. The anti social wasters even cut through a section of the wire stock fence to gain access, despite there being a public footpath access 50 metres away.

However when I called 101 to report the theft and get a crime number I was surprised by the questions the police phone clerk asked:

1. Name
  2. My address
  3. Phone number
  4. Mobile phone number
  5. Location of the crime
  6. Time when the crime occurred
  7. Value of the item
  8. My birth date
  9. My place of birth
  10. My Ethnicity

I can see the relevance of  the first 7 items, but the last three I don't. No doubt this will end up on their national intelligence databases. I am relieved they didn't ask for a DNA sample and my fingerprints. As it happens I've nothing to hide and I know a "file" already exists for me as a consequence of previous benign activities. 

However, coupled with the automatic tracking of all website accesses and the tying of my mobile phone number to my car registration and ANPR tracking around the country it makes me want to live in the countryside where Mr Ed Vaizey's Superfarce Internet doesn't reach. I've already ordered the tinfoil.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
14 REPLIES
shivers
Dabbler

Re: Do they really need the data?

Here in Scotland after reporting a crime I was also asked  : Mothers maiden Name and her place and date of birth also my mobile phone number.  I told them to get stuffed.  Which did not go down too well, but I stuck to my guns.

nanotm
Pro

@AlaricAdair

the last three whilst useful against your crime file (linked to your passport and drivers licence for cross checking) will also be used as part of the national crime stats to show people of certain demographics are more/less likely to report a crime also to check your description of yourself matches official records (less likely to be a fraudulent claim)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I understand that (in the war), if you were captured, you could only be asked for name, rank & number!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

AlaricAdair wrote:

However when I called 101 to report the theft and get a crime number I was surprised by the questions the police phone clerk asked:

..... <snip> ....

7.  My birth date

8.  My place of birth

9.  My Ethnicity

I wonder, what would happen if you provided 'less than accurate' information for these points?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It is going a bit stupid now isn't it. Don't get me wrong I support the fight against terrorists but they don't go through normal channels such as the police in the first place so how on earth is making life harder for the rest of us going to stop them?

AlaricAdair wrote:

However, coupled with the automatic tracking of all website accesses and the tying of my mobile phone number to my car registration and ANPR tracking around the country it makes me want to live in the countryside where Mr Ed Vaizey's Superfarce Internet doesn't reach. I've already ordered the tinfoil.

Well don't give your car insurers your mobile number then! That or get a dual sim phone and keep the number they have turned off.

As for tracking your internet access.. a PAYG 4/3G connection via an unregistered device gets around that. Of course you then need to top up using vouchers.. purchased from a shop with no CCTV... OR buy the voucher and don't use it for a month (most are valid for three) and by that time the shop has wiped it's CCTV logs meaning you won't get identified.

Whatever way you try to avoid the state, the noose is being tightened slowly every month. Soon your only way to avoid them poking their nose into everything will be to live in a cave or a submarine.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

w23 wrote:

I wonder, what would happen if you provided 'less than accurate' information for these points?

Charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice maybe Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, misrepresenting/mis-describing your ethnicity, for example, could have some effect on the process of justice?  That would imply that a victim's ethnicity was a factor in justice/investigation/policing somehow.  Shocked

I think I'd be asking them if they were veiled racists of some sort, claiming that their requirement to know the victim's ethnicity makes you imagine them thinking 'oh well, "one of them", must have deserved it'.

Just found (on a Government [Well, ONS] website):

There is no consensus on what constitutes an ethnic group and membership is something that is self-defined and subjectively meaningful to the person concerned.

I believe that means I can describe myself however I want and not get prosecuted.  So... what group do the police think is most worthy of their attention (maybe varies with Geographic area / local politics), I think I'll be one of those if I find myself in this situation.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

They were never going to do anything about the crime, anyway.

The police aren't interested unless it might get published in the media.

Community Veteran

I did ask when they were sending the police helicopter and canine units ;-)

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

7up wrote:

It is going a bit stupid now isn't it. Don't get me wrong I support the fight against terrorists but they don't go through normal channels such as the police in the first place so how on earth is making life harder for the rest of us going to stop them?

Makes it look like they are doing somethingUndecided

When ever I get survey or other questionnaires about age, ethnicity, etc, I just refuse to fill in those parts.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Just tell them you have no problem in giving your date and place of birth, ethnicity etc providing they tell you their details first.

Or just tell them that under the data protection act you are unable to provide the information.

That usually gets rid of them

Community Veteran

VileReynard wrote:

They were never going to do anything about the crime, anyway.

The police aren't interested unless it might get published in the media.

You say that but they don't hang about when it comes to flying their helicopter round our house at about 11:30pm. It's happened three times now... I went out to check the residential car park once to see if there was anyone hiding round there.. found the helicopter right above my head! I had a torch with me and had been looking round and under the cars (for blood soaked knives etc) so they knew what i was doing... but even so... right over my head? - After another fuzz's whirly bird fell out of the sky? Shocked

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

If you see a plot pilot laying round somewhere please send it to me - I've lost it!

Community Veteran

lol