cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they never learn!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do they never learn!!

I was the first hand observer to an accident on Friday last; whilst driving my school coach, stopped in a fairly narrow road (named a Lane actually) whilst picking up three students, one jumped off at some pace, crossed in front of the coach, straight into the path of an overtaking car. First, the youngster (probably 15 - 16 years old) was very very lucky and was hit hard by the front right wing of the car, sent flying across the road over a kerb and into a brick wall but, survived with fairly minor injuries; broken hand, head cuts and a non serious leg injury.
A split second earlier and the boy would have been hit full on in the centre of the car the outcome of which could have been far more serious. As it was when he came to rest in a heap by the wall, the first thing I thought was that he was dead. But he began to move quite soon after.
When the ambulance arrived (quickly; which I had immediately called for) by all accounts the boy was full of his adventure, texting and sending photos from the ambulance on the way to hospital.
The one person I feel most dreadfully sorry for was the young woman driver of the car. She was totally traumatised and in floods of tears, shaking like a leaf. To make matters worse, she had a baby in a car seat that was obviously sensed its mothers distress and was wailing fit to burst.
You could I suppose argue that the car driver shouldn't have overtaken me their but, it is not illegal (unlike in the states and Canada to overtake a school bus) But are "kids" these days not taught not to run out in front of a bus and wait till its gone. As I was at my mothers knee.
The lane in question is just over a mile long and under "hail and ride" rules whereby I can and will stop anywhere I'm called for. I stop regularly maybe 7 or 8 places and probably overtaken by several cars at each stop. Usually I let them go until there are no more in sight, the regulars know this and often flash indicators in thanks or blip the horn as they pass.
Oh yes, I was not a little shaken up as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Do they never learn!!

Thank goodness the lad was not killed; lady luck must surely have been on his side. Also, it would have been something the young lady driver would have had to live with for the rest of her life.
It seems when you're young and you have so many years in front of you there appears to be a mad rush to cram everything in. Strange that as you get older and less years to cram much more in, you seem to take things at a more leisurely pace. Or is that just me  Cheesy
I remember witnessing an accident many year ago when an elderly lady suddenly stepped off the curb into the path of a yound woman driver. This was on a busy London road. Considering the old lady cartwheenled over the top of the car I was surprised she survived. As with Petlew. I really felt for the driver, too, as she was in bits. Thankfully there were plenty of witnesses to reassure her that it was not her fault and there was nothing she could have done.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I'd like to think that one boy had learned a valuable lesson but I suspect not Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

PS. Just as a procedural note in case anybody is wondering. I was advised by my control office and the para-medic ambulance crew to get the coach and its remaining 50 odd children out of the area and to school. Some of the younger ones were getting upset.
I was aware that the Police were on their way and was concerned about whilst, not being directly responsible or involved in the accident that, I may be questioned about leaving the scene of an accident.
I had left my mobile number with several people and was called by the Police later in the morning. Their response was that I was quite right to get the coach (it was by now causing a serious traffic problem) and the students out of the area. I was only briefly questioned as a witness not a participant, leaving my home address and number for further contact if required..

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Did Was the victim texting &/or listening to music in headphones while crossing in front of the bus?
Update: Corrected. The folly of tidying up wording in part of a sentence and not re-reading it from the start!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Did the victim texting &/or listening to music in headphones while crossing in front of the bus?

No!

Fixes: 125

When I was a child road safety was drummed into me both at school and by my parents.
This followed me when my daughter was born often walking some distance to find a safe crossing (zebra, pelican, etc) even though I, probably, could have crossed safely where I was. I felt it was right teach my daughter the importance of safety and patience when crossing rather than end up as a patient.
Even yesterday I saw a woman with two young children (probably around 3 & 4) dart across the road with a zebra crossing just 100 yards away! And why do people insist on putting their pram halfway into the road to stop the traffic. It appears to work but seems an extremely dangerous practice.
Quote from: Strat
I'd like to think that one boy had learned a valuable lesson but I suspect not Sad

His wounds are probably being worn as a badge of honour as we discuss this.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
His wounds are probably being worn as a badge of honour as we discuss this.

When I checked with the school yesterday afternoon about his condition, I understand that is exactly true.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat

Perhaps you could get in touch with the head teacher, and ask him/her to make an example of this geezers behaviour , and also to use the "incident" as the basis of a Road Safety/Personal Safety issue on the morning assembly.... You could volunteer your services as an "observer", and pass on your thoughts to the kids, not forgetting the trauma caused to the young lady driver, and her child,
I am sure a powerful message could be made from this and passed on to the kids.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Morning assembly, now that is a blast from the past
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Perhaps you could get in touch with the head teacher, and ask him/her to make an example of this geezers behaviour
I am sure a powerful message could be made from this and passed on to the kids.

When I returned to the school for the afternoon home run. The local PCSO car was parked in front of the school offices (the local guy, I have a passing acquaintance with) He may have been there for a variety of reasons, but it was a coincidence that day.
I know some of the activities of the PCSO are roundly criticised, this particular PCSO is an retired ex-copper and a good'n. This seems to me a ready-made job for them. So perhaps as you suggested shutter something is being quickly done.
Although its just putting two and two together so far.

Community Veteran

I shudder to think what the outcome would have been if it had been a 6 year old child.
I suspect there should be little sympathy for the lady driver. Overtaking a  bus in a narrow lane while children were getting on and off?  She could have waited (probably late for nursery drop off) or, if necessary, passed the bus at a slower speed being prepared for a child to step out as they do!
When approaching hazards involving children appropriate care should be taken but often is not as in this case. The system in the US where traffic in both directions has to stop when the school bus stops takes the danger away and, I have to say, is respected by all drivers.
David_W
Rising Star

A similar situation happened down here in Hayle, except not with a bus.  We have a train station and to cross to the other side you have to walk across the path over the track.  If the train is far enough up the platform the lights are green, not far enough and the lights are red.  One kid saw that the light was red but the train was almost on the walk over so he figured it was this train causing the lights to be red, luckily for him a girl grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back as a train sped past him, if it wasn't for that girl then he would have been hit by a train.  Kids are I guess just a bit impatient, though I'm sure that one particular kid never tried to cross when the lights were red again.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we had two teenage girls killed like that in Saffron Walden last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12447319
right railway line, the next station and it was longer ago
The girls were killed at Elsenham railway station in December 2005