cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they deserve their bonus's?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do they deserve their bonus's?

No not the bankers. But all those tube drivers, train drivers, bus drivers, Boris Bike mechanics and many others who, poor lambs like the rest of us have had to do their normal jobs during the Olympics. Have they had to work harder or more efficiently?
Short answer...No!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Do they deserve their bonus's?

I expect the people who HAVE had to work harder are the maintenance crews, trying to keep on top of a huge transport system that inevitably has multiple problems every day.
But then you never do hear much about people doing those sort of jobs.
itsme
Grafter

If their employer/owners are making more money why shouldn't the employees benefit?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
No not the bankers. But all those tube drivers, train drivers, bus drivers, Boris Bike mechanics and many others who, poor lambs like the rest of us have had to do their normal jobs during the Olympics. Have they had to work harder or more efficiently?
Short answer...No!

More people travelling = more trains. More trains = more drivers. More drivers = less time off. More trains = more maintenance = more operational staff = more managers = more everyone in the loop.
Yes they deserve a bonus. You think that because its the same as their normal job that they shouldn't receive any extra however I'll bet they're working harder than you'd give them credit for. When they were employed I doubt their contract included "working harder for the olympic games" so of course they should be rewarded for the extra effort they put in.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When I was a shift worker at Heathrow; extra work was called "overtime" which was voluntary, this received a premium of T+1/3, T+1/2 T+3/4 depending when the overtime was, Tx2 bank holidays and Christmas. A shift premium was paid just for turning up for normal time.
When working for a large national bus company on shifts, the similar premium payments were calculated to the fourth decimal place.
I cannot imagine the likes of Len McCluskey and  Bob Crow haven't achieved these if not better pay conditions for their members.
So my question remains, what do they do differently during the Olympics that they don't do normally. Remembering as an aside that drivers of all types are restricted in driving hours. Unless that rule has been discarded for the occasion.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. During the last week just gone, London has been reported as a ghost town, so the drivers can't even complain that the passengers numbers are up during the day. Agreed the leaving times of the Olympic Park and other venues may be rather different.
In virtually any other walk of life, bonus's are paid in retrospect of a job well done (even bankers don't get their bonus's in advance) not before the job was done. If these conventions were followed I suspect there would have been far less bad feeling...providing of course the job was well done.

Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
maintenance crews, trying to keep on top of a huge transport system that inevitably has multiple problems every day. But then you never do hear much about people doing those sort of jobs.

Much the same situation with nurses and cleaners. Nurses get the praise and offers of various subsidies while the cleaners have to manage on minimum wage.
Community Veteran

The indications are that the transport system is moving less people so far during the Olympics than it was prior to the Games starting.  Friends of mine travelling into London are commenting on how empty the system is.  They will have to get their bonus because it was agreed in negotiations but they certainly don't deserve it.
I don't know how much bus drivers are paid but London Underground drivers earn around £40k per annum. It would have been reasonable to simply pay overtime to them when needed.
St3
All Star

greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
a) They will have to get their bonus because it was agreed in negotiations but they certainly don't deserve it.
b) I don't know how much bus drivers are paid but London Underground drivers earn around £40k per annum. It would have been reasonable to simply pay overtime to them when needed.

a) That was the problem, it was negotiated for all not just for those who did the extra work. When working shifts because its voluntary there were those who never did any at all in spite that occasional conditions left staff very short. No doubt the Tubes are no different, more than likely there are a number who are happily picking up the bonus who haven't done a stroke extra to earn it.
b) Certainly not as much as the tube drivers, with far more responsibility in respect to passenger and road safety. Tube trains these days pretty much drive themselves (they do on the Docklands Light Railway) with drivers largely monitoring the operation. Driver-less trains are no doubt the next step and being talked about now. Not something possible with the bus services.

Community Veteran

Transport For London is currently looking into driverless trains and Boris said he hopes to have some proposals later this year. As mentioned by Petlew the DLR is a driverless system and works very well. There is one attendant on each train I think.