cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not refreeze!

Fixes: 125

Do not refreeze!

The title is seen on a packet of Aunt Bessie's mashed potatoes- and very nice they are, too.
But surely, and I'm no micro bacteriologist, as long as you heat thoroughly (piping hot as described on the packet) then any potential bacteria would be killed anyway?
I can understand if it's things like gateaux, etc. as they would not be reheated.
Are the companies just covering themselves or should you really not refreeze anything?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Do not refreeze!

Unless you have something like a liquid nitrogen spray the refreezing process will likely be much slower than the original freezing in a factory. Slower freezing will multiply the damage caused to the food by (larger) ice crystals.
There is also the risk of bacterial action, possibly creating toxins in the food while it is unfrozen.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Slower freezing will multiply the damage caused to the food by (larger) ice crystals.

I expect some things are ok to refreeze but a lot of items tend to turn into mush.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If allowed to stay warm (for a sufficient period), bacteria will breed and may manufacture virulent toxins.
Re-heating may not destroy the toxins.
Mind you, I don't think it applies to mashed potatoes.
When I was a kid, uneaten genuine mash would be scraped from the warm saucepan and put on a plate for a few hours.
We didn't have a fridge in those days...
Cold mash (with some salt) is delicious.
Didn't do me any harm...  Tongue

Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Didn't do me any harm...  Tongue

I can imagine what health and safety would say about how we used to store food, and some of the food we used to eat, many many years ago.
But as you say, never did us any harm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Darwinian food storage method. Those who got it wrong are no longer with us.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If cheese had white mould on it, then I ate it all.
But if there was green or blue mould, I would scrape the mould off and just eat the cheese.
But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

Fixes: 125

SWMBO's family in Ukraine don't have a freezer. They often leave stuff out on the kitchen balcony for a few days. Fine in winter but I tend to avoid that food in the summer. Doesn't seem to do them any harm, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

When my dear old Mum was on her farm in Poland she said most things ended up in jars or dried on strings.
Unless they kept fresh by walking about of course.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I remember reading that there are two classes of food that can be refrozen. I think that they are bread and acid fruits  - but don't rely too much on this!
Community Veteran

Gordon Bennett! When I was a kid (no fridge) we used to flick the 'floaters' off the milk; cut the mould off the bread; and cut the mouldy bits off cheese. If cold meat smelt OK then it was OK!  Wink
Maybe that's why I don't drink milk at all now.  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

My daughter was about to cook a Sunday roast and to her the meat didn't look right so she asked me.
I had a sniff and asked her to do the same with "If it smell ok it probably is. Trust your nose"
It tasted delicious Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Beef is always best when just "over the hill"!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Highlight it if you want to know, but if eating I wouldn't
spoilerTest it out but once you get chronic diarrhea, you won't ever want it again so to not risk it never refreeze.  11 hours straight going every 5 minutes, ring of fire is how I describe it. end
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017