Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have to return it ?

St3
All Star
Fixes: 4

Do i have to return it ?

I ordered an item from argos.. later on the same day i changed my mind and contacted them via the phone to ask if i could cancel the item.

They said yes as it had not left the warehouse, so they cancelled it and 3 days later i was issues with a full refund, and on my argos account it clearly shows order cancelled.

But today i just got the item delivered to me........... its worth £200 ... is it mine to keep as they made the error ? or will they charge me for signing for it ? I checked my bank and they refunded the money already .... Shocked

36 REPLIES
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

Re: Do i have to return it ?

@St3 For an item of that value, I personally would return it/ask them to arrange collection. As your records show you have cancelled, AND got your refund, keeping it could constitute theft. I'm not saying it is, and agree it is Argos's fault, but put yourself on the other side of the equation - how would you feel?

John
Fixes: 168

It still belongs to Argos as you had a refund so it should be returned but at your convenience and no cost to yourself.

Best to ask for a Returns Label and send it back.

Edit: jab1 beat me to itWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@St3 thanks for the £200 christmas pressie Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
All Star
Fixes: 4

I contacted them its going to be collected.. i did ask for a voucher for being honest but they said no lol

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep their error and I would contact them.
Probably easy (a mistake I mean) to do at this time of year.

In regeards to theft, the OP wouldn’t have hardly have made a public post about it.

Plenty of people wouldn’t be so honest.
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

@Alex I agree, that kind of mistake is easy for a company to make at this time of year.

My comment with regard to theft was not aimed @St3 in particular, merely how it appears in law. As no-one on here probably knows who the OP is, a public post is hardly  going to have the boys in blue knocking on his door.Smiley

All credit to him for doing the right thing, though.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Its down to the retailer to ask you for the goods back. I've had it happen before (low value item). I ordered one from a well known retailer, they sent two. They were a pain to get through to on the phone, email etc so i just left it in the corner of the living room and waited for them to make arrangements. 3 months later they still hadn't done so and thus it was disposed of to a friend. To this day they've still not made contact about it - over 15 years later.

Also there is nothing to stop you sending them an invoice for storage and admin to get the item returned. It was their blunder, they've put you out. I'd personally invoice them a tenner a day for storage.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I ordered a memory card from amazon, the firm was located somewhere in the EU.

I then got a confirmation the item was dispatched and on it's way to me, 4 days later another message to say we could not fulfill your order and your money will be refunded, which it was.

I contacted Amazon who clearly keep copies of all transactions and they sent me a detailed letter including an apology and that they took such matters seriously.

About a week later the memory card arrived.

I did not return it as I had gone and purchased another card and considered the inconvenience I had been put through was sufficient for me to keep the card.

Was I wrong ? What would you have done ? Cost of card was around £ 20

Community Veteran

I wouldn't worry about it glen. It's down to them to ask for it back.

Community Veteran

I ordered an SSD a couple years back from an internet-based company, and the courier *coughyodelcough* managed to lose it, so, after 2 weeks since I questioned it, they sent another out, a week after that one arrived, the "lost" one arrived, I contacted the supplier, they never got back to me, so, I held onto it, and then gave in and put it to use... Smiley

Fixes: 58

I've seen instances where an order was placed online. The order was delivered but left on the doorstep outside.

The recipient arrives home and takes in the parcel.

A couple of days later they contact the supplier asking where their order is.

Through due process the order is re-supplied and the original order package is sold on.

Personally I find this a despicable practice.....but that's me.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

On a similar note to 2cv, I ordered a box of goods years ago from a wholesaler for selling on to my customers. It never turned up but they tried to invoice me for it. I had a merry spat with them and eventually they accepted it and cancelled the invoice and likewise I cancelled my account with them.

5 months later the couriers delivered it. I don't know what on earth they had done with it or where they had kept it but it honestly looked like they had used it as the warehouse football. The box was so battered that every corner had ripped and was literally held together by the top and bottom of the box.

Shockingly all the contents of the order were still inside. I called the wholesaler and explained what had happened and asked them to collect it. They didn't seem to want to know until I went mental at them about their lack of communication with the couriers and then suddenly they took it seriously and had it collected. Nobody ever offered an explanation as to what happened.
Community Veteran

I had a similar thing with a first class letter a few years back for my dad.

Posted it, the person didn't receive it. Dad didn't believe me when I said I had posted it.

It arrived, but took a couple of weeks I think.

RJM
Rising Star

gleneagles wrote:

I ordered a memory card from amazon, the firm was located somewhere in the EU.

I then got a confirmation the item was dispatched and on it's way to me, 4 days later another message to say we could not fulfill your order and your money will be refunded, which it was.

I contacted Amazon who clearly keep copies of all transactions and they sent me a detailed letter including an apology and that they took such matters seriously.

About a week later the memory card arrived.

I did not return it as I had gone and purchased another card and considered the inconvenience I had been put through was sufficient for me to keep the card.

Was I wrong ? What would you have done ? Cost of card was around £ 20

I would have contacted Amazon and asked them to send a prepaid envelope to send the item back.

Stealing an item that you are not entitled to is wrong.

How would you feel if somebody did the same to you?