cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You have to have a BT Line in to get freesat

tgr
Grafter

Do You have to have a BT Line in to get freesat

I have sky to get that you have to have a BT line in.  I have an elderly cousin who does not get good reception through free view.  He uses a mobile phone for communication.  I suggested that he should get freesat which would give perfect reception but I am not sure whether he would require to have a BT line in to get that.  He lives alone in a council bungalow and cannot afford the standing charges etc for a BT line and therefore does not want a line putting in.  Anyone know the answer.  He does have a sky dish which is disconnected. Thanks for any info
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Do You have to have a BT Line in to get freesat

No need for a phone line for freesat and they should be able to use the sky dish too, that's what friends of mine have done.
Will Moderate For Thanks
tgr
Grafter

Thank you very much I have just rang him to tell him so thats my good deed done for today
Fixes: 47

My Daughter moved into a flat that had a Sky dish and cabling from a previous occupant.
I bought her a freesat box, plugged it in and away she went. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
scootie
Grafter

yeah whack a freesat recevier on the sky dish both sky an freesat signals are broadcast from the same astra 2d sat.
my self i whacked a second hand mini dish up and used an old panosonic sky box i had lying about at first chanel 4 an e4 ect wasnt broadcast free to air on sky and was only freeview which sky try to make you buy a card for Roll eyes but now the only major freeview channel sky dont broadcast for free is channel 5 but you can buy a freeview card for i think £10.
if any one reads this and dosent have a dish up and there freeview reception is pants you can pick a mini dish up from ebay or your local t.v sat shop i brought a dish an cableing for £40 from sat shop for friends installtion.
just look at negbours sky dish's and work out best location with out any major obstuructons in the path. then use a protable t.v in your window and whack the sky, freesat on the signal menu and tweak your dish till you get full signal no need for a sat finder gadget
your one stop for all things astra http://www.astra2d.com/astra2d.htm
Community Veteran

Freeview may be poor as most are transmitting at less than 25% until they go full digital. After switch over everyone should be able to get freeview(famous last words)
community
Grafter

OK, after reading all these replies, I have confusion  Sad
Some of you are talking about freesat and some of you are saying freeview.
These are not the same.
AFAIAA , with freeview you get the extra channels, but with freesat you get HD transmissions ? Am I right?
Fixes: 102

You get different channels between freesat and freeview. For instance no Dave on freesat but that has lots of other channels that aren't on freeview.
There is a standard def and hi def freesat, with the HD one you get BBC HD and ITV HD.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Here's a site that will tell you about Freesat.
http://www.freesat.co.uk/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are four different types of "Free"  television etc.
Freeview = terrestrial Digital TV  mainly on reduced power at this moment, will go on full power when the analogue is turned off
Sky Free = a number of "Free" channels that require a £10 card for life, but cant receive Dave for free which carries the World Car Rally and others
FreeSat = from the BBC as above also on Astra 2D, lots of channels including the above Dave, you can also get the regional BBC from anywhere in
UK
Free To air Sat = lots and lots of channels from different satellites I can get over 2000.  Some "Freesat" receivers can tune to these, but then you cant get the 14 days EPG, only now and next
It is estimated that the terrestrial freeview witll only have  75% coverage, and some awkward areas cant get a Sat signal,  Where I was Near the Isle of Sky, a house across the Loch had his dish out on and island and a long cable back to his house
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Isn't FreeSat on Astra 2E not 2D?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

i thought 2E wasn't due for launch until 2011
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Samuria
Freeview may be poor as most are transmitting at less than 25% until they go full digital. After switch over everyone should be able to get freeview(famous last words)

Just to futher confuse matters, the Freeview channels you get can vary from area to area as not all transmitters may have the full quota of multiplexes, even after switch-over. As an example in Weymouth, which has now switched to digital, there's only about 12 TV channels and no commercial channels (eg Setanta - if it lives....).
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seems to be a bit of confusion! I remember seeing something ages ago saying that although FreeSat was on a different satellite, it was close enough to the Sky satellite that the dish wouldn't need to be re-aligned. Seeing the posts in this topic I went Googling and found a page with setup instructions for FreeSat that said to select satellite 2E - hence my post.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Seeing the posts in this topic I went Googling and found a page with setup instructions for FreeSat that said to select satellite 2E - hence my post.

I think that's a reference to it's position, ie 28.2°E.
See http://www.astra2d.com/
Mike