Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Recycle?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do You Recycle?

Hi All
Do You Recycle?  I Do see "Your Comments On Recycling" on my forum.
If you do recycle what do you recycle?
I recycle Paper, Cardboard, Plastic, Cans, Glass and Batteries, the Batteries I take to Sainsbury's.
The Recycling Bins on the Estate are Attached below
[Edit]  Woops forgot clothing go's to the British Heart Foundation on Corporation Road Middlesbrough, and household goods.
60 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Do You Recycle?

All of the above plus shoes and clothes and books
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well I recycle quite a lot of things on windows seven (recycle bin )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont have to leave my door except for bottles, batteries and waxed drink cartons, the council collect the rest.  current running at 55%
just started a weekly collection of kitchen left overs, all sorts of bones, fish bits etc.  my uncooked bits go into garden compost bins
randpwar
Grafter

We have a green bin for food waste (wrapped in paper, the food waste, not the bin Wink), garden waste (grass cuttings, prunnings etc) and shavings etc used for the Guinea Pig, separate boxes for tin cans and paper though clothes and shoes can go with the paper, separate bags for cardboard, bottles and plastic bottles. I seem to spend half my life sorting it; I really do hope it does some good and is genuinely recycled but I do have my sceptical moments
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I recycle the normal stuff, plus this year I got a compost bin so all the kitchen waste went there + some garden cuttings.
I also use freecycle to recycle working goods.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We have a blue bin supplied by the council. I think my wife understands all the rules but I have to admit I dont and leave it to her. Embarrassed
OTOH I have a bad attitude to putting grass cuttings in plastic bags for the council. We have our own compost maker and all our food and green waste goes in that and we make our own compost Why does anyone send green waste to the council? Undecided Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Moray Council have just started rural kerbside collections for most things, including plastic milk bottles, so now it's only an occasional trip to the depot for timber, metal, car oil, batteries, clothes and electrical items.
Still no facility for CFL bulbs though - I take those down to England when visiting.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I worked in Teesside I helped set up a scheme for recycling paint. Smiley
Where I live, Scarborough we went to the trouble of fishing out all our half full paint tins from the shed and took them to the recycling, they told us to throw them in the skip as they would be going to landfill  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Green box for glass, cans, foil, clothes and shoes - brown bin for cuttings(I compost most of mine) - bag for cardboard, another bag for paper, yet another bag for plastic (including "tetrapack") and we've just had a food waste bin delivered (that's a small bin in the kitchen that you put a cornstarch bag into - then that's put into a larger bin outside).
I'm afraid I'm not very good with batteries  Embarrassed but take them to a recycle place, when I remember.
Our black bin for waste that goes to landfill is rarely more than 1/3 full
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A funny,
About three years ago
my local council had a display in the town centre, they were giving away a pencil mde fron recycled CD casess instead of wood, and it had the coucils mane on it.  Goody I said will put my old rubbish CD cases out, The reply, please dont we cant recycle them
Now they use a combined recycle unit, I think at Rainham Essex that automaticlally sorts out most of the stuff with a human overlooking, so now all our paper, card, tins, aluminium and most grades of plastic go into just one bag, so every other week we can have a green bin for garden, plastic bag for the other- I sometimes use large paper sacks, and the small weekly kitchen bin.
The other week is the stuff for landfill, Like John, just a smaal amount in the bottom of the cart
http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/environment/Waste+and+Recycling/rubbish+collection/

Essex Council list of what can and cannot be recycled
http://www.essex.gov.uk/Environment%20Planning/Recycling-Waste/Recycling/A-Z-guide-waste/Pages/Defau...
tinto
Grafter

In North Lanarkshire we get three bins,
Green for general waste and glass uplifted fortnightly
Blue for paper, cardboard, plastic, metal uplifted fortnightly
Brown for garden waste I don't know the uplift frequency
We've got quite small gardens front and back laid with chips and most plants potted, (we spend a lot of time at our caravan) so I declined the brown bin, and any garden waste we do generate is bagged and taken to the recycling centre as and when, same with stuff like empty paint tins etc. Batteries, light bulbs go into a plastic container in the shed until a trip to the recycling centre is needed.  I read an item in the local paper a few weeks back in which the Council said they were achieving I think around 70% of their recycling target.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

these are Braintree council brochure for the Kitchen bin and the other bins
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi All
Sorry that I am not on much, been busy Recycling VHS Tapes.
Total VHS Tapes dismantled into their components: 504
Still have over 500 to Go!
Community Veteran

Local council recycling rules and procedures are merely a reflection of the council officers' ability to negotiate a good/bad contract with the disposal/recycling companies.
If it is a poor contract the residents have to presort the waste into 57 different bins while putting many items suitable for recycling into general rubbish.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.