Did you mean: 

Do You Backup?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do You Backup?

Hi All
As the subject says: Do You Backup?
I do some times but not as much as I should do!
My Backup Log:
Main Backup - Updated
19-05-2007 - Keep
20-11-2011 - My Documents < Is Now Done!
20-11-2011 - Outlook Express
29-09-2011 - Outlook Express
26-09-2011 - Outlook Express
21-09-2011 - Outlook Express
22-09-2011 - My Documents
18-04-2011 - My Documents
16-04-2011 - Outlook Express
16-12-2010 - My Documents
15-12-2010 - Outlook Express
01-09-2010 - My Documents
01-09-2010 - Outlook Express
31-08-2010 - Outlook Express
07-06-2010 - Outlook Express
24-05-2010 - Outlook Express
06-05-2010 - Outlook Express
06-05-2010 - My Documents
16-12-2009 - My Documents
12-12-2009 - Outlook Express
25-10-2009 - Outlook Express
26-10-2009 - My Documents
05-10-2009 - My Documents
04-10-2009 - Outlook Express
29-08-2009 - Outlook Express
24-08-2009 - My Documents
24-08-2009 - Outlook Express
01-05-2009 - Outlook Express
28-01-2009 - Outlook Express
20-01-2009 - Outlook Express
14-12-2008 - Outlook Express
09-12-2008 - Outlook Express
01-12-2008 - Outlook Express
27-11-2008 - Outlook Express
22-11-2008 - Outlook Express
20-11-2008 - My Documents
18-11-2008 - Outlook Express
28-09-2008 - My Documents
06-10-2008 - Outlook Express
28-09-2008 - Outlook Express
04-08-2008 - My Documents
21-05-2008 - Updated 06/07/2008
04-08-2008 - Outlook Express
06-07-2008 - Outlook Express
28-06-2008 - Outlook Express
15-06-2008 - Outlook Express
21-05-2008 - Updated 15/06/2008
28-01-2008 - My Documents
I backup manually, if you backup how do you do it?
If you are using Outlook Express on Windos XP you can backup your inbox, outbox and so on by entering in to Internet Explorer Browser's address bar:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D912B6AC-1A7D-4710-B267-C2B264915B7C}\Microsoft\Outlook
Make a folder on your backup Drive say cald "Outlook Express" in Internet Explorer select all Files and Drag and Drop them in to "Outlook Express" folder on your backup Drive.
61 REPLIES
alanb
Grafter

Re: Do You Backup?

Yes, I have a small server at home that I back up to regularly. The server encrypts my backup files and copies them onto a portable disc drive every night. The job running on my server also ages the backup files ensuring that older copies are removed from the server.
I initiate the backups manually. Typically I do partial backups 10 to 20 times a day. That is not as bad as it might sound. All my data folders are structured so that highly volatile data is held separately from unchanging data which I consider to be 'archived' data. The daily partial backups just copy the volatile data to the server, which typically takes between 10 and 15 seconds per backup. So a backup completes in the time it takes me to go to the loo or grab a cup of coffee. I also backup the archived data at monthly intervals, but that takes a lot longer to do.
Community Veteran

Gary:- Good Question.
I find with "Outlook express", if you need to recover your email folder the address book is blank you need to export  your address book as well!  Do you backup your address book?
I've relocated my mail folder as a subdirectory of a Data drive, then back up from there.
I use 'Synctoy'  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155 to replicate my data drives onto external disks.
I replicate to a series of external drives (in rotation), then store one off-site, usually replicate weekly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Years ago I used to while my files were small enough to fit onto a CD. Then they grew once I got a dialup connection (pc would stay on overnight lol) so naturally I started to see a rise from MB to GB. At that point I was a bit stuffed with one hard drive and just a CDRW so I didn't bother. I paid heavily for that a while later when selecting the wrong option in XOSLs install saw my data partition get destroyed. Luckily I still had quite a few bits on various CDs so I managed to salvage quite a bit but still lost a lot of other stuff. I left the PC running 4 days using a freeware file recovery utility.. it was crap. After 4 days it had done nothing of any use so I just wiped the disk and started over.
Then I got another HDD, another computer etc so backups became easier when I got my first ethernet cable  Cool
Now I do keep backups but I only do it a couple of times a month on an external drive. I've actually got two plus the netbook but I don't do the backups as often as I should. My email is on a webmail so I don't worry about that, everything else is either on my desktop or in another folder that has everything. It takes hours to copy it all over (about 4 hours iirc). Once done the external drive is unplugged so that I can't accidentally screw it up.
I used to use synctoy between the main computer and netbook but I found every so often it would get confused and delete things. Needless to say I stopped using it. Anyone who relies on it is IMO, sitting on a time bomb.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You chaps are well organised.
The only thing I make a full backup of  is my full system following a fresh Install 0f the OS plus all the programs I consider essential so I can be up and running much quicker if a major disaster happens.
As I use Gmail there is no need for a backup of the contents and list of e mail address are kept in a book (around a dozen)
What's in my favourites list I can remember anyway as there are no more than 20 that are of importance to me.
Photos, letters and anything considered important is kept on 2 external hard drives
Community Veteran

@gleneagles:- Funnily enough I don’t backup the OS or any programs. Although I replicate the program CD’s with keys onto a couple of external disk drives to enable me to re-build at anytime.
@sprite good advice wrt Synctoy, no trouble so far and I've been using it for 3 years. I do test it by switching between PC's at regular intervals.
Ellis
Grafter

Firstly, I don't use Windows so many of the problems do not arise.
Secondly, I only backup the files I think need to be retained. Too many people probably keep old copies of documents around which are no longer needed, get rid of them, they're only clogging up your hard disk. My emails are kept on my host's server (IMAP) and I have many folders on the server for archiving emails from different sources. My addresses and calendars are also synchronised by my host company, so are available from any computer. Other files which are needed to be retained are synchronised by our operating system company (at present I am only using 1GB of my 5GB free allowance). When I replace a laptop, I remove the installed system and install my own. The system is free as is a vast amount of software.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

'My Documents', Address Book, OE6 .dbx folders and FF bookmarks on external HDD two or three times a week, synced using XP's 'Briefcase'.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I back up Documents and email files including address book daily automatically using SyncToy to a separate networked computer and vice versa
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

@Ellis
So what happens if tragedy strikes and you host server goes tits up and can't be recovered
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ellis
documents around which are no longer needed,

I keep all documents as PDF's, including all bills as scanned images. Doesn't take that much disk space: Bit sad but I've still got an image of my first pay slip for £1-6-8p.
barky
Grafter

I do regular backups storing copies of all my files on 3 external drives & an image of c drive on another external drive.
Do incremental backups using the Toucan program from portableapps.com
ditched outlook a while ago for thunderbird portable which is  copied onto multiple external drives
began this procedure when a laptop hd was beginning to play up ... didn't trust it & 4 months later it went kaput

I understand there are people out there who've NEVER backed up ... one day they'll regret it
Ellis
Grafter

The companies that host domains are usually very experienced with systems and have banks of servers, your files are backed up on several of them, that's what you pay them for.
Community Veteran

Image backups at least once a month or before trying some piece of software.
Couple of minutes to make an image and just five minutes to put things back as they were if need be.
Not worth the risk in doing nothing. Even with some small error/bug/virus/problem it's quicker to recover to an image than play about with some manual correction.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
I back up Documents and email files including address book daily automatically using SyncToy to a separate networked computer and vice versa

Gotta be honest I do like synctoy a lot but when you got a folder with 80GB of stuff in it then it seems to get confused every now and again. I used to find it would randomly wipe stuff off both systems and leave me in a pickle. Apart from that, its an impressive program as you can name the tasks and then run them from the command line with various options. On my netbook I had it setup in my profile for my home wifi and hom lan connections that it would autoimatically sync by running a batch file and it worked very well until confusing itself.
Quote from: journeys
Quote from: Ellis
documents around which are no longer needed,

I keep all documents as PDF's, including all bills as scanned images. Doesn't take that much disk space: Bit sad but I've still got an image of my first pay slip for £1-6-8p.

That must take you ages? - I worked for a company yonks ago that had the scanning process nailed. You went to a page on the system, typed in a fw basic things (like account number, how many sheets etc) and it would print off a fax header style sheet with a barcode on it. Then you just put that on the top of the papers for that account and whacked it into the multisheet scanner and let it scan everything. It would then grab the barcode using OCR, take the next X amount of scans, assign them to the account and move onto the next barcode etc. It worked extremely well and was incredibly reliable and very quick. The scans would show up on the accounts within a few seconds. It really was a cool system.
Quote from: journeys
@gleneagles:- Funnily enough I don’t backup the OS or any programs. Although I replicate the program CD’s with keys onto a couple of external disk drives to enable me to re-build at anytime.

On that note, I do keep some programs installed in virtual machines. Programs like IDEs for programming and debugging - the complex stuff which has all sorts of special registry settings that can upset other programs. Backup is a doddle since you just copy the VM itself.  It's actually a very cool way of doing things. Bit of a resource hog on the CPU and ram side  so i run them on seperate machines and use remote desktop to login and use them so it doesn't affect the resources on my main machine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!