Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do YOU believe Clarkson??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do YOU believe Clarkson??

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11370687
Somehow I believe the Argentinians more than I believe the BBC/Top gear accounts here. This program/guy is a liability.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Do YOU believe Clarkson??

Given that the Argentinians hate us brits because they gave us the Falkland isles a couple of centuries ago and because we humiliated them when they tried to take them in the 80s, I'm kind of on the fence on this one with regard to the post-attack bickering, yes Clarkson & co. have said some pretty stupid things on TG over the years, but with regard to the attacks on their vehicles and their crew, for a nation to react like that in such an organised way I'm pretty damned sure that their government planned the attack regardless of a piece of plastic with letters and numbers on it stuck on a car, after all, what would be more perfect an excuse to go to war with a country they hate than to kill the hosts and crew of a popular British TV show... Roll eyes
Argentina accuses us of being pirates, and yet they're perfectly okay with committing acts of attempted murder for political reasons... Roll eyes
PembsPanther
Grafter

About as far as I could thrown him!
I used to think he was great and broadly agreed with most things he said and I have loved Top Gear right from its re-launch all those years ago but now grrrrr I cannot stand him, I think he is the most arrogant, self centred, insulting k**ob head I have come across and he has completely wrecked Top Gear, I have not bothered watching the last 2 seasons, it used to be about cars, fair enough most of the time cars that were not within the budget of the normal man or woman but still the shows core was cars, now every episode is some jolly boys outing more about how far they can pushy their luck in whatever country is unlucky enough to  be hosting them for the episode usually in bangers that nobody has any interest in. FOr me Top Gear has lost its soul and it is all Clarksons fault it is about time he moved on and gave the other 2 a chance to move forward.
Fifth Gear for me now they have remained true to their routes and the show is actually about cars and some of the time normal cars that normal Joe Public might actually be able to afford to buy Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: PembsPanther
Fifth Gear for me now they have remained true to their routes and the show is actually about cars and some of the time normal cars that normal Joe Public might actually be able to afford to buy Smiley

Interestingly enough, Fifth Gear was intended to be called Top Gear after the BBC scrapped "Old Top Gear", but wouldn't give C5 the licensing rights to use the name, so in essence, Fifth Gear is Old Top Gear, just with a different name... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Knowing the political background of Argentina/Britain,... and the volatility of Clarkson, and his attitude to everyone around him.... I am surprised that the BBC actually sanctioned spending the money to send him there, in the first place... they should keep him under control, and if he won`t be controlled by them... terminate his contract... would be cheaper in the long run,... and the BBC would gain back some credibility with the home and overseas public....
Community Veteran

The BBC don't sanction anything. All the Top Gear brand stuff is produced by a company called Bedder 6, which was set up in 2006 to produce TG and all the associated merchandise. The BBC bought a share of it from Clarkson and associates in 2012. The company is registered at Companies House. It produces all the TG Worldwide programs and magazines, exhibitions and events etc..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

ok... didn`t know the setup there.... but they don`t HAVE to take his progs... he has a history... so no real excuse...
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
but they don`t HAVE to take his progs...

But they do because it brings viewers to the BBC, without some of the programmes they have at the moment the BBC would have very little interest left in them, and people would start wondering why they're paying for a service that doesn't suit them... Smiley
Community Veteran

i think the number plate was a genuine coincidence that the argentines picked up on because they are stupidly determined to pursue their specious claim on a few tiny islands they wouldn't want to inhabit anyway.
yes.  clarkson is telling the truth.  he generally does.  it's why he gets into trouble so often.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And I have issues with the BBC and how they commission programmes today. Too many managers with media studies degrees or recruited from Guardian readership.  Roll eyes
TG wouldn't be commissioned nowadays. Too popular  Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
markfrompompey
Grafter

I expect the chances of that number plate being genuine coincidence, would have odds greater then winning the jackpot on the Lotto. Cheesy
And what are the odds that 3 presenters, a whole bbc camera / production crew & maybe even other support personal being there, didn't notice that number plate? Cheesy
Sorry but I find that so hard to believe. Undecided
I think it was planned & they knew exactly what they were doing. They just took it a step to far this time and didn't expect such an adverse reaction, surely?
Community Veteran

I'm sure Jeremy maintained his normal level of journalistic morals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
markfrompompey
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I'm sure Jeremy maintained his normal level of journalistic morals.

Indeed AlaricAdair  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artificer
yes.  clarkson is telling the truth.  he generally does.  it's why he gets into trouble so often.

+1
I think most of you around here know i like a good conspiracy however I do find it hard to believe that TG would intentionally take a car with a number plate that would annoy the argentines straight to argentina. I'm sorry but i personally think this is a coincidence.
What I also didn't understand was that female MP who tweeted a photo of the white van outside someones house. People were outraged by it - why? - People seemed to think she was shunning the driver or putting him down somehow because there was a flag above it? As far as i'm aware she tweeted only a photo with no comments and while i'm never sad to see an overpaid snotty MP leave, i certainly didn't read anything in it like others did.
Far too many accusations of people doing sinister things these days.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When I first saw the report of Clarkson's porker being the result of an attack, I did a DVLA Vehicle Enquiry, and that plate was registered in 1991, but any plate from A982 FKL right up to Y982 FKL could have been accused of being an intentional insult, it just so happened that H982 FKL was on a used sports car (which probably cost less than £2000 or something as part of their usual challenges) that he bought...
I still say it's the argentinian government intentionally attacking the TG cast & crew to gain favour for their elections...