cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do YOU become more impatient the better something becomes?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do YOU become more impatient the better something becomes?

We've recently gone from a 6Mb connection to a fibre one of around 25-30Mb. Thats quite a substantial increase.. however on the rare occassion i download a file or play a video (consequently requiring buffering) i now find myself becoming a tad annoyed that its taking so long Roll eyes
On the old connection it was just a way of life.. heck i was even pleased with a 3G connection and how quick stuff could be downloaded however it seems the faster the connection the more instantly i expect something to happen - if a web page hasn't fully displayed in around a second i start to feel like i'm wastimg time waiting Shocked
Same with cars.. I once drove a couple of really boring slugs that were never going to win any street races.. and i was happy with them. Then i got my hands on something faster and more powerful and suddenly every second became important - even though i didn't need to worry!
Same with money.. when i'm skint i get used to it. Yes its a struggle but you just give up on hopes / dreams / expectations but when you got a little bit stashed away suddenly finding more of the stuff and spending as little as possible is the #1 priority.
So gang, do you become more impatient the better it gets or am I a freak?  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Do YOU become more impatient the better something becomes?

What about the number of people who post on these fora that the signed up for 80Mbps and only get 60Mbps. Does it make any difference  Grin Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you signed up for 230V AC mains and only got 175V  you wouldn't be best pleased.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

The UK mains voltage is set at 230V +10% / -6% so in your case that would be well out of the acceptable range so you'd have every right to complain.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I signed up for full-fat, non-european regs. 240 British volts, and I get it, at about 3am... Grin
Community Veteran

I have a UPS on my desk that's telling me as I type this that the current line voltage is 245 and to be fair it only deviates by +3v / -3v over time with the 245v being the 'constant' average.
Community Veteran

My two Tripp Lite UPS unit are reporting between 225 and 233v at the moment, the local substation's pretty woeful at keeping up with demand during the day, as I've mentioned previously, it has been as low as 210v, no real effects on any electronics, but incandescent bulbs (fridge & oven lights) tend to flicker a lot...
Community Veteran

Don't complain about lower voltages there have been a number of power surges in this area which caused damage to a number of electrical household items.
Community Veteran

Well if you can prove this then the network provider will pay to have them replaced, you'll get the detail you need and what you need to submit on their website.
Community Veteran

True,
They admitted to the fault and paid compensation to those affected.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have a mains voltage & frequency monitor in the Study, it never seems to vary from 240v, ±0.5v, unless it's Zero !!
Frequency, not continuously monitored, but always is around 49.9hz when checked.
Copper Broadband Speed is always around 19mb/s, apart from evenings when I gather it is sometimes throttled until midnight......... then that can be frustrating, when downloading files !
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
If you signed up for 230V AC mains and only got 175V  you wouldn't be best pleased.

Now look what you've done  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Well I'm making a cup of tea with 241 volts pushing 12.17 amps through my kettle to produce a pleasant drink.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

That would take nearly 10% longer to boil the same amount of water at 230V (we'll assume your measuring equipment is accurate).  So, per the OP, would that make you impatient?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some times my kettle takes les than 20 seconds to boil the water for my cup of tea but about 4 months ago it started taking more a lot longer, sometimes it takes over a minute for two cupful's of water during the day, of course its back to its normal 20 seconds during the night on the odd occasion I've felt  the need for a brew at that time,
I had been tempted to replace the kettle but seeing that its a power problem I figured there's not much point ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you