cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet have the capacity and equipment to do this

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Do Plusnet have the capacity and equipment to do this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/6534319/State-to-spy-on-every-phone-...
All telecoms companies and internet service providers will be required by law to keep a record of every customer’s personal communications, showing who they have contacted, when and where, as well as the websites they have visited.
Despite widespread opposition to the increasing amount of surveillance in Britain, 653 public bodies will be given access to the information, including police, local councils, the Financial Services Authority, the ambulance service, fire authorities and even prison governors.
They will not require the permission of a judge or a magistrate to obtain the information, but simply the authorisation of a senior police officer or the equivalent of a deputy head of department at a local authority.
Ministers said that they still have to work with the communications industry to find the correct way of framing the proposal in law — meaning it will not come before Parliament until after the general election. But the Home Office yesterday insisted it would push the legislation through. Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, originally released a consultation paper in April.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Do Plusnet have the capacity and equipment to do this

isn't it odd the way totalitarianism moves around the world?  since the collapse of the russian outfit and the opening of the chinese landscape to commerce, the west, in the form of the usa, australia and britain have been moving ever closer to the stasi model of government by fear.
does anyone think that the tories will be any different from the labour lot in this regard?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

All it needs is for all the ISPs to get together and announce that they are all going to put up their fees by £1 per month to pay for this.
Cue storm in the papers about hidden taxes - end of proposal!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Erm, and some!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Which party is "against" this proposed piece of legislation? Undecided
cos that is the one I will vote for.... !   Cheesy
(on the other hand, they may change their mind when they get in power, and still go ahead with it ....  Crazy )
Bojangles
Grafter

Or ISPs could just turn round to the government and say the privacy and concerns of their customers is more important than your political agenda.
*edit*
Looks like things have changed
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/big-brother-database-cancelled-by-ministers-1817708.ht...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not entirely......

The Conservatives have not ruled out reviving the idea but remain sceptical about the practicality of Labour's proposals.
unquote.
Undecided
mentalist3d
Grafter

I read a while back that in the UK most ISPs were against the proposals, but I cant remember where I read this but will try and find it later, that was a few months ago, so I don't know if they have changed their stance since.
If were not careful, in a couple of years we might not be able to discuss issues like this or other issues with government for fear of being branded dissidents or terrorists to the state, whereby they'll cart us off to labour camps to serve the end of our days. I know it sounds extreme but sadly we are living in more extreme times Sad
[EDIT]Just as an afterthought, thumb printing primary school children so they can access the library has just been extended to Dundee, this will also help reduce bullying as well apparently [/EDIT]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

All it needs is for all the ISPs to get together and announce that they are all going to put up their fees by £1 per month to pay for this.

All telecoms companies and internet service providers will be required by law to keep a record of every customer’s personal communications, showing who they have contacted, when and where, as well as the websites they have visited.

Don't think we are far off the day when the TV Licence is abolished and households are targeted with a Communications Licence of £10 per month collected by the ISP's
Which will swiftly increase to £15 per month to cover administration costs
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: journeys
Don't think we are far off the day when the TV Licence is abolished and households are targeted with a Communications Licence

In reality thats not such a bad idea. Instead of having hundreds of direct debits to keep track of for the phone, TV, internet, satellite etc just one fee taken by one central authority would be far more convenient.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!