cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do NOT use Swiftcover!

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Do NOT use Swiftcover!

MAKE A MENTAL NOTE : SWIFTCOVER ARE CHEAP FOR A REASON (THEY SUCK!)
Ok, so a massive articulated lorry side swiped me on 17th November in Edinburgh and drove off! Contacted police, contacted company, contacted insurers.
Apparently as the driver of the lorry 'was not aware he had been in a collision' it didnt actually happen. He has an 'undamaged lorry' (of course its undamaged, its freekin massive!).
Anyhoo, 2 months on and the dodgy insurers that call themselves Swiftcover are not pressing my case, not answering my emails and being generally crap. AVOID AT ALL COSTS
I am going to end up paying for my car to be fixed and the insurers/lorry comany get away with it. IT SUCKS
Rant over!
22 REPLIES
craigyoung
Grafter

Re: Do NOT use Swiftcover!

Bad news.  Sad
Although I think you would have got the same reaction from other insurers.  If there's no evidence he hit you, not much they can do I guess.  Though clearly they should be answering your calls and letters.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I have the evidence, a dented and scraped drivers side and a smashed off wing mirror. I had someone in the car but cant be referred to aas he is not an independant witness!
The most annoying thing is that, i am sure there are people that claim this sort of thing fraudulently all the time. I was genuinely crashed into and there is nothing i can do about it. My premiums are going to got up to almonst £1000 per yer from £350, which i hooneslty dont think i can afford.
craigyoung
Grafter

Sorry - by evidence, I meant that it was him who hit you, not that you were hit.
For that sort of premium increase, have you looked at paying for the damage yourself?  I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having inusrance, but it can turn out cheaper in the long run.  I pretty much regard insurance purely  as a way of staying legal, but increase excesses to the max to drive the cost down.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I am probably going to have to pay.
I am refusing to send my car to the garage until they admit liabilty. If they dont admint liability then i will dop the claim, pay for it myself and be a little wiser i suppose.
I have had a couple of minor scrapes in my 10 years motoring, both of which i paid for in cash.  It is alot easier i agree.
Lurker
Grafter

Take them to court yourself.
All you need to do is sue them for the cost via the small claims court.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
I have the evidence, a dented and scraped drivers side and a smashed off wing mirror. I had someone in the car but cant be referred to aas he is not an independant witness!
The most annoying thing is that, i am sure there are people that claim this sort of thing fraudulently all the time. I was genuinely crashed into and there is nothing i can do about it. My premiums are going to got up to almonst £1000 per yer from £350, which i hooneslty dont think i can afford.

If there is no evidence of a collision, then it didn't happen.  Smiley
So why should you reveal anything to your next insurer?

Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
All you need to do is sue them for the cost via the small claims court.

And your passengers evidence will be heard, though may not have the same weight as a truly independent witness.
Community Veteran

[

If there is no evidence of a collision, then it didn't happen.  Smiley
So why should you reveal anything to your next insurer?

If you've told your insurer they possibly have logged it on the database that most insurance companies use when taking on a new driver.
I assume, Mrmarcus that you didn't have comprehensive cover.
itsme
Grafter

I don't think Swiftcover is any different from other insurance companies. Many, many years ago I was insured with the Co-op and another car hit my up the rear. Rear type accidents are the most straight forward ones as the 3rd party is always at fault. The accident was at the time of renewal and I lost my no-claims bonus until I got the 3rd party to admit liability by paying the excess. The Co-op had no interest in doing the chasing of the 3rd party on my behalf.
At the next renewal I changed to a broker with an understanding that they would do the chasing of the 3rd party or lose my repeat business.
davidj66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Its not just SWIFTCOVER ; had our car insured with Direct Line - got sideswiped by a lorry whilst stationary at the roadside - I spent nearly 2 years chasing before we finally got an admission of lability - after the case was going to go to court.
Lurker
Grafter

I'm with Esure - they just dropped my renewal price on account of me now having 5 years no claims discount, this in spite of an idiot in a white van driving into the back of me whilst chatting on his 'phone last year.
Excellent service from them, and they tend to be amongst the top three cheapest for me whenever I compare prices online with other insurers.
Community Veteran

I'm with Zurich and am very pleased with their service.  They reduced my premium 2 years ago when their online price worked out cheaper than the telephone price I was being charged at the time.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Two years ago I was  with Esure (signed up via phone).
They quoted a high renewal premium, so I went to one of those price comparison
websites.
It recommended Esure.  Cheesy
I tried - but failed to get Esure to match their own web site - but they couldn't!
So I didn't renew with Esure - and signed up on their website.  Crazy
They both lost and gained a customer....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Several years ago I got a quote from Churchill along with a few other quotes from car insurers and finally settled for a fairly low quote from one company. After taking all my details & payment was made they said the policy will be with Churchill. The daft thing is, it was a lot cheaper to get the policy through a third party rather than direct from Churchill.
Where is the logic in that ?