cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do It Yourself Mechanic ? I wish ! ! !

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Do It Yourself Mechanic ? I wish ! ! !

@gleneagles  Reminds me when the wiper assembly on the Alhambra broke. Went in to order one and got told it'll arrive a few days later. Thinking I was getting just a small linkage part, I thought the part was fairly expensive but thought, needs must.

It arrived as promised. Picked it up and thought wow, it's the complete unit that operates both wipers arms that sits inside the engine compartment. Got home and managed to get the old one out easy enough - it literally just fell apart as i undone the bolts. Swapped the motor over, went to fit the new one. Er....spent the next half hour working out how to get the new unit back in. The top of the suspension strut was getting in the way. Ended up jacking the car up really high. Just went in, as Tommy Cooper would say, Just like that!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@shutter wrote:

@gleneagles 

Looking at my own car it's clear you have to remove a number of things just to get at the spark plugs when they need changing,

I haven`t seen a spark plug for over 25 years now  ! ! ! ... They used to be about a pound for four Shocked when I last bought any ! ! !.

@shutter 

Your 'slip of the quote' above might make it appear to the un-informed amongst us that you have well concealed spark plugs on your car. Wink

Luckily most of us are aware that your Skoda is a diesel! Thumbs Up

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles I haven`t seen a spark plug for over 25 years now  ! ! ! ... They used to be about a pound for four Shocked when I last bought any ! ! !.

I wish. Four for the motorbike......  💷 £38!! Shocked Car's a bit cheaper though, about £12 for 4.✔️

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@idonno 

Not a bad price for 4 SP's for your car considering how long they last these days, original plugs for mine cost over double that, fortunately I do less than 6000k a year so it will be a number of years before they need replacing.

Cost of replacement by garage......£ 150 plus vat......air intake enclosure and other stuff needs to be removed for access plus addition of new gasket