Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I trust Google?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Do I trust Google?

Google sent this to me today:-

" We’re improving our Terms of Service and making them easier for you to understand. The changes will take effect on 31 March 2020, and they won’t impact the way that you use Google services. And, because the United Kingdom (UK) is leaving the European Union (EU), Google LLC will now be the service provider and the data controller responsible for your information and for complying with applicable privacy laws for UK consumer users."

Google going for the data privacy business?

Don't make me laugh.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Do I trust Google?

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google is planning to move its British users’ accounts out of the control of European Union privacy regulators, placing them under U.S. jurisdiction instead, sources said.

Highlighted
Pro

All part of the brexiters’ plans to weaken our legal protections, I’m afraid.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/20/uk-google-users-to-lose-eu-gdpr-data-protections-...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

I was expecting this - just not quite so soon.

I've managed to move virtually all my email communication to a Swiss based provider (protonmail.com) who handle my emails encrypted (and I retain the private key to this data).

It's very easy to change my password on most web sites - but often very hard to change your email address.

Basically Gmail get my spam + a few sensible emails, whilst protonmail.com gets no spam at all. 😀

Highlighted
Pro

I’ll check out protonmail 👍

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think you'll find that that particular horse has already left the stable.

If you've read their Ts&Cs you'll know that Google already 'read' your email so having it outside of the UK will, I doubt, make any difference at all.

Highlighted
Pro

@Mook 

I’m aware that google can read my gmail emails - more of a concern to me is who else will be able to get easy access to my data (not just gmail emails) when we lose our GDPR protections as a result of Brexit.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

The only rule worth following are none as they can be so complicated, I just assume all I that submit and store on the internet can and is available to just about anybody with a keyboard connection.

Welcome to the internet bubble.

The bank might promise in all sincerity to keep your 'money safe' but they still get broken into.

Some seem better than others and although protonmail has limitations, it does get less spam. As for that GDPR story, thats just typical Guardian who like many remoaners just can't let it go. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Obviously you still need the various measures to block trackers and advert/malware.

Don't use the Google search engine but do use DuckDuckGo and you will see (in due course) a reduction in the irritating stuff.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@rEUnite wrote:

All part of the brexiters’ plans to weaken our legal protections, I’m afraid.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/20/uk-google-users-to-lose-eu-gdpr-data-protections-...

Before the GDPR the UK had the data protection act.

The EU was not responsible for every advancement of rights in the UK. I think you need to drop the antii brexit thing because comments like the one above make you look really daft.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

The only rule worth following are none as they can be so complicated, I just assume all I that submit and store on the internet can and is available to just about anybody with a keyboard connection.

Welcome to the internet bubble.

The bank might promise in all sincerity to keep your 'money safe' but they still get broken into.

This - can't say it better than that.

Keyboards are electronic signals. Computers are electronic signals - and signal recorders. Any signal you send to another device on the other end of a wire can be recorded and re-used by anyone who can gain access to it.

GDPR, data protection.. whatever.. rules can be broken irrespective of how strong they might appear to be. There's nothing to stop chinese hackers stealing your data and making it available somewhere.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

@VileReynard wrote:

Obviously you still need the various measures to block trackers and advert/malware.

Don't use the Google search engine but do use DuckDuckGo and you will see (in due course) a reduction in the irritating stuff.

I tried DDG but couldn't get on with it. Obviously their search algorithm is way different to Google. When i used the same search terms in DDG, results much less relevant came up on the first page compared to searching in Chrome. I found that even Bing, through Edge was giving better results, and I can't stand that browser. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

DDG seems to work well for some, but others hate it.

A bit of a marmite search engine.😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran

when google first came about years ago i couldn't get on with it - everything i searched for came up with irrelevant results. Sure right now it's on top of its game but it wasn't at the start.

DDG might not be great right now.. but it soon could be.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Nothing that is connected to internet is secure or private.....  if you want privacy use a letter or a notebook - or talk face to face, then at least you know who you are talking to.