cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the 80/20 product

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Do I need the 80/20 product

This isn't a technical query more a - I am just wondering thought for when the prices go up Sad

I am on 80/20 with speeds 45/9 so with a decent standard option on 40/10 I would move to that but given that the present option is 40/2 I wondered whether it would have a seriously noticeable affect on normal browsing and email (typically never bigger than 1MB)

I don't use the Cloud so the only time I would be pushing things is ftp uploads which are rare and typically well under 100MB so would take less that 10 minutes

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Do I need the 80/20 product

it's unlikely you would notice any difference at all.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm on the 40/2 product. Like you mainly browsing and e-mail. I also use PlusNet TV for BT Sport and  the I-player etc.

I worried about the /2 aspect when I moved over from  ADSL, but in fact I have never really noticed any impact whatsoever. Uploads via the Work VPN only take seconds - perhaps a couple of minutes minute if it's a really big presentation, but if so I simply multitask while it runs to completion. It appears to have no noticeable impact on browsing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I just checked my firewall on the 80/20 line.  The ratio of TX/RX  packets is 1:5 along that line.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

I went from ADSL to Unlimited Fibre ( 40/2) at start of this year and am more than happy with the package.

Most of my usage is streaming ( NowTV, Netflix, Amazon etc) and I use around 300Gb a month with minimal uploads

Using TBB test I'm getting 33-35 Mbps - has dropped slightly from 36.5 Mbps I got for first two months but who's moaning.

Certainly wouldn't pay more to get faster speeds.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

AlaricAdair wrote:

I just checked my firewall on the 80/20 line.  The ratio of TX/RX  packets is 1:5 along that line.

I'm on the Legacy 40/20 package and, similarly, my TX/RX Data Volume is in a 1:5 ratio.  In the real world I doubt I'd notice that much difference if upstream speed was 2 though I'd rather have the option of 10 if it were available from Plusnet (I'll stick with my 40/20 for now though until newer products become significantly more attractive price/offer-wise).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Just re-joined on the 40/2 package, cant say it has made any odds to us.

Samknows says average of 1.86mbps upload from 5.30Mbps on BT.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the higher upstream rate is more important if your sharing the connection between lots of people or have multiple devices trying to upload data all at once, on the 80/20 package with typical upload speed of around 16.5 I do notice if it goes below 8 on the upstream when everyone is home and actively using their stuff but only because streaming services start to buffer and games online games start stuttering,  fortunately that's rare I think a dozen times in the last year and always down to service problems elsewhere in the system causing the slow down.

if it was just me and the missus using the internet I would happily drop to one of the lower packages and save the money, but its just not worth the frustration for me to do it now, oh and all of us use the cloud and cloud sync services across multiple devices which is probably one of the main reasons for the noticing when the upload rate drops /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you