Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a TV licence ...?

tsphillips
Grafter

Do I need a TV licence ...?

The TV Licensing website says:
"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."
I do not know how to apply this information in practice to TV channels which I come across on-line. For example, is a TV licence required to watch the following TV channels (live) online?
(1) Al Jazeera English
(2) teleSUR
(3) DVB (Democratic Voice of Burma)
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Do I need a TV licence ...?

difficult to know the way the regs are worded, but your first  section would seem to say yes, that is if the programs are actually Broadcast live and not just web
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think the answer is in the sentence....

at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."

Your "normal" tv licence covers you.... you do not need a "seperate" tv licence to watch UK TV on line... (if you have a normal tv licence)
I would contact them direct if you have any doubts about watching the channels you have listed....
tsphillips
Grafter

I do not have a TV licence.
I have tried to phone TV Licensing but all their advisors were busy. I also tried to send them my question using a form on their website but it did not work properly.
Community Veteran

No. Those channels are not broadcast in the UK or Channel Islands (at present).
But keep an eye on Freeview, there's some odd channels appearing there.
Also, what is "conventional TV"? Presumably terrestrial analogue & digital but not satellite?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

freview
82 Sky news
84 CNN
85 Russia today
FreeSat
200 BBC News
201 BBC Parliament
202 S4C2
203 Al Jazeera English
204 Euronews
205 France 24
207 CNN International
208 Bloomberg Television
209 NHK World TV
210 CNBC
A TV Licence is not just for TV sets
Watching TV on the internet
   You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.
Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+
   You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.
Mobile phones

A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.

so as 203 Al Jazeera English is broadcast by freesat you should have a licence
also broadcast are French, and Chineses  (CNBC)
tsphillips
Grafter

Thanks Pierre
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: tsphillips
The TV Licensing website says:
"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."

It appears to me that where it clearly says "You need to be covered by a license if you watch TV online AT THE SAME TIME it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands" that if your not watching it AT THE SAME TIME it's being broadcast it makes it sound like you wouldn't need a license as long as your not watching it at the exact same time it's being shown on TV, so if you watch it an hour after it's been broadcast I'd assume (rightly or wrongly) that I could watch it without a TV license.
tsphillips
Grafter

I agree; I understand that a licence is not needed in order to watch a programme on-line (for example via the BBC iPlayer) an hour after it was broadcast.
I have posted a question on another forum
http://www.swarb.co.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=4
I have looked at the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 and I have looked elsewhere on the TV Licensing website. My conclusion is that I would need a licence to watch any of the three channels I mentioned in my original post - and that the information from the TV Licensing website that I quoted in my original post is an incomplete statement of the law.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The sentence seems to me to be ambiguous. Also it does not include the Isle Of Man which is Crown Dependency but not part of the UK.
"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands." could mean
"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online  in the UK or the Channel Islands at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV."
Viewers from outside the UK and Channel Islands that manage to receive conventional broadcasts from the UK are not required to have a licence. The first interpretation would require anyone watching a UK programme "live" via internet anywhere in the world to have a licence which cannot be the intention.
Also, either explanation would leave the possibility of recording a programme as it was transmitted and watching it shortly afterwards. The law on receiving conventional broadcasts covers any equipment capable of receiving the broadcasts be it a TV, VCR, DVDR, PVR or whatever.  Any computer connected to the internet (perhaps that should be broadband) is capable of receiving live events so arguably one should need a licence if one has a computer but no TV. (I wonder what the lawyers would make of "at the same time". If "live" internet reception (or even digital TV) lags behind the analogue reception by a second or so is it "at the same time"?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

read my reply #5  that quote is from the official web site, doesnt seem ambiguous to me, I gave a list of live UK programs and the statement, that if recorded i.e. from sky+ for later viewing it need a licence