Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I live on a different planet?

x47c
Grafter

Do I live on a different planet?

Probably you will say.
But reading the post quoted below on another plusnet forum I am begining to wonder if BT's efforts in improving broadband could not be better directed towards possibly some more deserving community sectors - if this is what all the speed complaints are really about.
(I restrained myself from making any comment on the thread!)
It's post No 25 from this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101298.16.html
« Reply #25 on 23/01/2012, 23:13 »
I am the same m8, as soon as it hits 10 PM my gaming goes to pot.
BB stats are exactly the same as in the day time / early evening but as soon as 10 PM comes I struggle to hit anything.
example, same server, same map (seine crossing) 9 PM (joined halfway through the map) 35 kills 8 deaths......... after 10 PM playing the full map 19 kills 23 deaths.
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Do I live on a different planet?

Not sure what you're getting at? People pay for a service and expect to be able to do what they want with it.
In your logic should we only service cars for people that are in more 'deserving community sectors'?
Will Moderate For Thanks
x47c
Grafter

There are businesses in the UK desperate to get better (or any) broadband.
They want to earn more money, employ more people, pay more taxes, make the country more competitive etc.
Meanwhile there are people moaning about their bad speed as they want better speed seemingly so they can play faster games about killing more people.
Hence the endless threads about interleaving.
Improving their speed/latency so they can kill even more people in their games does not strike me as a good use of the limited resources for Plusnet/BT/UK plc.
Left to me I'd tell the gamers to [Censored] off - or preferably go to Assganistan when they can do it for real.
Edit:
good example,
Editor group of an international journal in UK, totally [Censored] semi-existant broadband, obviously very difficult to edit complex technical journals with such a connection.  Solution move the work abroad -easy.  So that's a couple or so less jobs in the UK.
The journal owner is not going to waste their time discussing better broadband/alternative locations in the UK - just quit totally and go abroad.
So yes I do consider this a more deserving sector of the population.

adie:red swear filter avoidence removed. ]
Fixes: 104

Ridiculous,  if they were that desperate could quite have easily moved in the UK not just abroad. You’re more than entitled to your opinion but slating gamers is way off. Talking economically there are uk hosts for games, coders, retailers  in fact a whole lot of jobs related to the industry including technical journals. Far more than the two jobs you mentioned. You want to improve everyone’s broadband, lets triple the fee’s so that new cables can be laid for people that want to live in the middle of nowhere. Because that would go down well. There are satellite broadband providers which although may  not be economical for a home  user could suit a business / home worker well. The companies don’t want to invest as they won’t see a return. Do not blame the end consumer for this.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

These days I don't see it as a issue myself. Just plug in 3/4G dongle and have done with it. Speeds up to 7.2Mb should be enough to keep any small company afloat.
Sure, might not be great once you've got 20 users sharing it but then you just add a small program called nat32 to your ICS host and make use of multiple dongles.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

I am a gamer and this thread is just bonkers. Problem?