cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I keep, bin, or ebay my old broadband modem?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Do I keep, bin, or ebay my old broadband modem?

I recently bought and am using a Netgear DG834G router and my Binatone 500 ADSL modem is resting in the cupboard. Should I keep it just in case something goes wrong with  the Netgear or choose one of the other options in the thread title?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Do I keep, bin, or ebay my old broadband modem?

keep it in case you need to report a fault and one of the checks to avoid getting charged is to try a different router/modem
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I personally keep a spare router around incase I have a problem with my connection.  If you have a fault with your connection there are many things that could cause this.  One that is easy to eliminate is your router if you have a spare one to hand.
I would doubt you'd get much for it on ebay anyway, as they aren't that expensive now, and I think that particular one is quite old now.
Phil
Luzern
Pro

Tx I'll be mr Clutterbuck then.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Captainkirk
Grafter

I have the same model in the cupboard Lucerne - been there for 3/4 years in case of emergency....used it on my mum's computer when her internet was playing up so it hasn't been entirely wasted - if you are anything like me then as soon as you either bin it or sell it something will go wrong and you will need it  Grin
Luzern
Pro

Now I knew there was a reason for keeping Mrs Lucerne!
nadger
Rising Star

Hope she doesn't have access to this forum  Grin
Still got original Speedtouch green frog that I got in March 2002 - actually lent it to someone last year whilst his modem was playing up.
snozboz
Grafter

As this seems to have turned into a competition...  Tongue
I've got two wired one-port router/modems, one 4-port hub, and one WiFi access point, all sitting around doing nothing - can anyone beat that?!  Smiley
Martin
N/A

I have 5 56K ISDN Router Modems about to land in the skip....
pcoventry
Grafter

Quote from: snozboz
As this seems to have turned into a competition...  Tongue
I've got two wired one-port router/modems, one 4-port hub, and one WiFi access point, all sitting around doing nothing - can anyone beat that?!  Smiley
Martin

Yes I have 4 4 port wireless routers. A one 1 port wireless router and 2 wired modems and 4 complete BT Openzone wireless kits which at one point I sold to businesses for a cut of the profits.  (You could buy them for £199 + VAT right off the BT website in 2006)
All sat in a box in my office that will probably never see the light of day again, unless my new speedtouch dies
gary
Grafter

Solwise SAR 715, I think, migh be 710 if they ever existed... Beat that.
gary
Grafter

Sorry its a
1-Port Routers
Solwise SAR110 Router
(Supplied: January 2004 - October 2004)
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/archive.shtml
Thoroughly beaten  Embarrassed