Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distruction

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Distruction

Yeah @twocvbloke mine shattered more like glass, went everywhere and I hurt myself.
Lesson learned there Roll_eyes

petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok, which of these parts do you want.

PM me with address detail if required

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

All of them !... Thanks.... see PM Smiley

petlew
Community Veteran

Since I now have the bare disk platters out of the cases, they have proved to be steel (or another hard metal) would giving them a through all over sanding with emery cloth destroy the data on them?

Both drives used for the parts for shutter are (or were) Maxtor, should that make any difference.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew wrote:

... would giving them a through all over sanding with emery cloth destroy the data on them?

Yes, it will render them useless.

petlew
Community Veteran

Thanks Mook I thought it might.

petlew
Community Veteran

Just for information for anyone else wanting to go down the sanding of disc platter route. The drive cases were not as difficult to get apart as I though they might be. I was fortunate enough to have the smallest mini-torx bit available (from a set), some of the case screws are hidden under security foil.

Once inside the disc boss is held on with the same torx screws, then the disc will fall out.

Send the other parts to shutter.

shutter
Community Veteran

@petlew wrote:

Send the other parts to shutter.

But.. please PM me first ! !

petlew
Community Veteran

Having dealt with the desk-top drives I had a look at the laptop I have. These will prove much more difficult to open as the outer parts are spun riveted rather than screwed. I know I can (attempt to) drill out the rivets, but when inside, am I going to find anything useful. Do they still use the swinging arm read/write? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have access to a vice @petlew it might be worth while giving it a squeeze side on, to warp the internals. But be careful bits don't pop out when it collapses.

shutter
Community Veteran

@petlew wrote:

, am I going to find anything useful. Do they still use the swinging arm read/write? 

Yes, they do use the swinging arm and the magnets.. ( but probably smaller than the 5.25" drives  ) apart from that, I would think they would be the same  "type" of internals...

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Laptop HDDs are the same inside as desktop ones, just smaller, the more impressive ones are the old IBM MicroDrive HDDs (not to be confused with Sinclair Microdrives, which were miniature 8-track style things), which are even smaller... Smiley

But Laptop HDDs, from experience from working in a computer shop, are easy to "erase", the platters are a glass or ceramic material and shatter with a good thwack on a concrete floor or with a hammer, very difficult to recover, if anyone ever decided to try!! Desktop ones, just mangle the platter and that's that, they can't be read once distorted...