cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DisrupTor

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

DisrupTor

Seems that the authorities have cracked Tor and arrested hundreds of users across the world who have been involved in illegal activities.

Good news of course but have they managed to do this using supercomputers or are such things a myth. .?

Or could they have done it by using the very people who invented Tor to show them how to crack it...?

And finally does this mean the end for vpn services that are being used to access things illegally ?

Opinions please....(Before the authorities come knocking on your door)

😀😀

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: DisrupTor

@gleneagles 

Tor was cracked by the US Govt some years ago. It's been known as insecure since 2013.

https://restoreprivacy.com/tor/

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I suspect all these so called secure connections where you trust unknown 3rd parties to handle your connection are probably undercover jobs.
VPN is the latest offering from hundreds of providers all claiming your connection is insecure. Insecure from who? - your ISP? Government? Hackers? If it's the latter then it's laughable that hackers would be able to monitor your connection at the ISP level. They could do that with a Trojan even if you use a VPN.
As for the government who provide roads, railways, healthcare, education... Certainly can't trust them! - so why trust a total bunch of strangers you've never met and couldn't identify? - their networks just like an ISP can monitor your traffic but you've no idea who they are, never voted for them and have no local representative for them.

I'll stick with the ISP connection. If the government want to snoop on my boring life they'll get bored quickly. I only visit a handful of sites and while I use a VPN, it's only to connect into my PC from outside, not to encrypt my outbound traffic to the net.

I personally wouldn't worry about anonymous connections at all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Many years ago I got a Tor browser, just a modified FF, and considered having a look.

But then I read somewhere that though authorities at the time couldn't track any Tor activity they could easily see who entered/left the Tor network.

So I didn't think my curiosity was worth satisfying if it meant my name going on some list (Pike).

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

From my POV folks using it look more guilty than those using their ISP.

If you're a criminal, what are you most likely to use? - An "annonymous" connection or your ISP?

Bees to a honeypot and all that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!