cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing YouTube copyright claims

Razer
Grafter

Disputing YouTube copyright claims

Does anyone here have experience of disputing a copyright claim on videos you upload to youtube? I'm a bit surprised by the options as show in the attached pic.
"I own the CD/DVD ..."
Buying a CD/DVD doesn't give you the right to use the contents as you like. So why put that option?
"I am not selling the video ..."
Neither does this fact.
"I gave credit in the video."
Surely a simple statement of who owns the copyright doesn't give you permission to use the content.
I am perplexed why they have included those options in the dispute process. Any ideas as to why? I can't help but think it's some kind of con. e.g. 'Yeah, I bought the CD and am using the music in my video' = 'I acknowledge that I am infringing copyright'
As to the one I have used "My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use ..." seems to be a waste of time because the claimed rights owner just rejects it and you have no further recourse, meaning, effectively, that they act as judge and jury. Of course they're not going to agree that it's fair use if that means you don't have to carry an advert out of which they will make money. What a farce.
If you're wondering, I have uploaded videos of gameplay and some organisation made a claim to own, or act on behalf of the rights owner, some of the music that appears in the game on some of the videos. It annoys me so much because it's a game I bought and paid for and all I'm doing is recording my gameplay; gameplay which the game makers aren't bothered about me uploading videos of. In fact, there is a permitted thread on their website for people to showcase their recorded and uploaded to youtube videos in.
Even more annoying is that the music appears in all of the videos but this organisation only claim on some (seemingly automatically) that the ContentID system can detect. The farcical progression of this is that you can normally choose to have the audio removed, which makes no audible difference, but removes the claim. The even - even more annoying thing is now a different organisation is claiming rights for the same audio and now there is no option to remove as before. I can't help but think they've swapped it over to one with a different policy because when you remove the audio they can't make money.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Disputing YouTube copyright claims

if its Nintendo that is what they are doing for all online game videos, if not they want their own Advert at the start and end of it
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Razer
Grafter

Re: Disputing YouTube copyright claims

No, it's not Nintendo. It's none of the game developers or publishers. As I mentioned, the developers and publishers are not bothered about us gamers uploading our gameplay to youtube and they allow space for videos to be posted on their forum. It's some agency apparently acting on behalf of someone who made some of the incidental music in the game.