cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusting. This is why I don't give to charity.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Disgusting. This is why I don't give to charity.

Courtesy of the Daily Mail for this tip off..

This is absolutely disgusting.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
22 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: Disgusting. This is why I don't give to charity.

Indeed, a definite case of over paid "Fat Cat" chiefs and not enough Indians IMO.
I donate to the Dog's Trust and sponsor a Mongrel called Rusty, but I get semi regular letters saying he's doing OK, it's only a quid a week, Dad used to give to the WWF (World Wildlife Fund, not the wrestling company) but he stopped when they started ringing him up constantly pestering for more money.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You believe the "The Daily Mail"?

RichAllen
Grafter

No, but having worked for almost every charitable organization in Sheffield, I've seen what the OP is on about.
adie:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=7up]Disgusting. This is why I don't give to charity.
and I thought you were just mean !  Grin
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

But it's not as simple as saying it's a charity people shouldn't be paid. People have to work for a living - large charities have to be manned full time - you cannot expect the majority of people to work for free. Yes there may be some who could afford to give free time and I expect there are but managing budgets of millions in the main or running a rescue center is not some that can or should be done by volunteers IMHO.
Even large corporate companies with billions in turn over don't give pc software to them free - they may get it for a reduced rate but rarely free.
Community Veteran

I read this article and was very upset with it.  Thanks to the Mail on Sunday for highlighting it.
I give to a number of charities on a regular basis and feel all my money is used in a sensible manner by them.  I support my local hospice, RNLI and Air Ambulance. There are, however, some charities I would never give to.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Only the very smallest charity can operate without paid staff. There are not the numbers of people with the time, finances, comittment and skills to work full time for nothing.
Obviously all expenditure should be good value for the money spent.
From the Charity Commission site: In 2011  c £11m cost which included cost of pensions, National Insurance and *agency staff*. At that time average of 585 whole time equivalent  employees. That means that on average the *total cost* per WTE member of staff was <  £18,800.  That does not equate to a very generous wage although no doubt there are some very well remunerated people among the total.
I note that the article mentioned the number of volunteers but not the number of staff. I wonder why.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

OR more likely one or more @ £100K+ and LOTS of part timers.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
I think it is disgusting.  In my view charity means raising cash for a cause for free. 
Not paying obscene amounts to employ people.

I work for a charity, I get paid a salary, not everything about a charity is about raising cash, some of it is about spending the money raised to deliver the charities aims.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
You believe the "The Daily Mail"?

If it came from the sun I'd be a bit dubious about it. If it comes from the gospel of the daily mail then yes I do. If its good enough for artmo and the rest of the upper classes it'll do me just dandy Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Hairy
more likely one or more @ £100K+ and LOTS of part timers.

The staffing numbers were for Whole Time Equivalents not total number of staff. Thus the number of part timers is irrelevant.  2 half-timers on £10k will be the recorded the same as one full-timer on £20k.
Community Veteran

I accept that people working full time for charities have to be paid. This, however, is why I am careful where my donations go:
Bosses' Pay
nanotm
Pro

well at least they have moved on from the days of hessian sacks and bricks down the well....
seriously though IMHO anyone who gives to animal charities wants their head examined, you can't rehome more than 50% of the abused ex pets the only recourse for the vast majority of animals is a bullet (or lethal injection if you can get close enough to them) and since they continue breeding in "rescue centres" there are always an increasing number of animals to be cared for (animals with no purpose) even the RSCPA used to put down anything that had been in a centre for more than 3 months (regardless of condition)
what the world needs is a more sensible approach to such charities with limited staff and limited care costs, some idiot got hold of an animal sanctuary round my neck of the woods and spent 20 million quid making a pet hotel out of a rundown mansion complete with under floor heating and Jacuzzis 6 months later they had all the animals put down and the place fumigated before the owners moved back in to the now plush mansion themselves which in effect conned all the refub money out of the charity in a perfectly legal fashion .......

if someone asked me to donate anything to one of these places though I'd be forced to go with the bag n bricks of old, after all why fix what isn't broke !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 123

It's a sad state of affairs when money appears to go to the wrong people/causes.
I don't give regularly to any charity but when something comes up that I feel strongly about I will donate. But never as a response to ads on TV!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still