cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusting. These nurses need help (Edited)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Disgusting. These nurses need help (Edited)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4702178/Nurses-pay-150-000-parking-fines.html

Nurses are now expected to pay silly money because they dared to stand up for a job they believe in.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Crowdfunding in action for an appeal:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/nhsvindigo

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
76 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 46

Re: Disgusting. These nurses need help

So they decided to take  visitors spaces - stuff the patients they don't count

They knew they were liable but decided to ignore the parking restrictions and the appeals procedures

A spokesman for Indigo said: 'In April last year, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Indigo agreed a new set of measures to improve car parking on the UHW site. 

'As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled.

'In addition, the cost of a Parking Charge Notice was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days. Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.'

They brought this on themselves as a protest

The hospital has 6,000 staff but the car park has only 1,800 spaces, so many have to park in spots reserved for visitors. Staff, some of whom earn just £15,100, decided they would veto payment of any fines in protest at the lack of spaces.

I have no sympathy as there are apparently a lot of places they could park off campus

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Probably better to set up a petition to let the government know that these parking charges are utterly ridiculous for those who work to save lives and make those who are dying feel more comfortable, charging nurses for parking at all is just filthy, give with one hand, take back with the other, utterly disgusting...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Sorry but no, there is no RIGHT to a parking space, unless it is in your contract. If you work at a single place every day for a specific time then use public transport, bicycles, or car sharing.
When I used to work for Edinburgh council the only parking places were highly regulated, so you had to use offsite parking or take a bus.
When they are out doing calls then there is a call for abolishing the fines, but not at a static place of work, unless you give the same rights to everybody else working there.
Community Veteran

So where do you suppose all the parking spaces will be found in the centre of Cardiff

For information

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cardiff+CF14+4XW/@51.5079043,-3.1924678,16.16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0...

and this is the car park plan

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/opendoc/238615

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'd imagine Cardiff Vale and University Health Board will soon be complaining it is difficult for them to recruit enough nursing staff.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

The same place as ANY other city center. OUTSIDE it.
Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

So they decided to take  visitors spaces - stuff the patients they don't count

They knew they were liable but decided to ignore the parking restrictions and the appeals procedures

A spokesman for Indigo said: 'In April last year, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Indigo agreed a new set of measures to improve car parking on the UHW site. 

'As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled.

'In addition, the cost of a Parking Charge Notice was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days. Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.'

They brought this on themselves as a protest

The hospital has 6,000 staff but the car park has only 1,800 spaces, so many have to park in spots reserved for visitors. Staff, some of whom earn just £15,100, decided they would veto payment of any fines in protest at the lack of spaces.

I have no sympathy as there are apparently a lot of places they could park off campus

Your reply startles me OJ. As someone who is a user of the NHS yourself having just had surgery, how would you like it if your surgeon or nurse couldn't tend to you because they had to go out and deal with petty parking woes?

Further, what is more important - staff who are saving lives or visitors?

Yes visitors do need to be able to visit but doctors, nurses and surgeons need to be able to do their job without having further pressure put on them in tough times.

Years ago hospital parking was free. Now we're punishing the very people who work there TO CARE FOR US because they're fed up and unable to park the car when they got to work? - This is wrong OJ.

Would you expect this at a private hospital?

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:
Sorry but no, there is no RIGHT to a parking space, unless it is in your contract. If you work at a single place every day for a specific time then use public transport, bicycles, or car sharing. Would you want to do that after a 12 hour shift cleaning up vomit, wiping peoples bums, dealing with alcoholics / druggies, being threatened and ending your shift stinking of sweat? - Thats the reality for many of these staff.
When I used to work for Edinburgh council the only parking places were highly regulated, so you had to use offsite parking or take a bus. Edinburgh council are in the middle of a rather old city that has not adapted to flattening buildings and creating car parks. Hospitals such as Edinburghs are outside the city centre and have more space.
When they are out doing calls then there is a call for abolishing the fines, but not at a static place of work, unless you give the same rights to everybody else working there.

So you're saying that someone working as a 9-5 appointments clerk should have the same rights to parking as an A&E doctor / nurse? I think thats daft if i'm honest.

Medical professionals should be given priority by their employers not get kicked in the teeth.

Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

I'd imagine Cardiff Vale and University Health Board will soon be complaining it is difficult for them to recruit enough nursing staff.

According to that DM article they've already had people resign. I'm not surprised, I would too and have done previously. There is no point working for an employer that does not value you but instead treats you like a nuisance for your efforts.

Community Veteran

It is the same at our local private hospitals

The fact is that there is limited parking and the staff have a greater proportion than visitors

There is very good public transport in Cardiff

The vast majority of the staff managed quite well and just because a few nurses decided to make a protest - knowing full well the likely effect - I am supposed to feel sorry for them

Looking at the parking plan and going from the article it would appear that there are under 3000 total car parking places so what do you think should be done

Checking - they could and should have used the Park and Ride http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/park-and-ride

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Why doesn’t / can't the local council issue permits to the medical staff allowing them to park either on site (outside of visitor spaces) or in the surrounding location without the fear of incurring a parking ticket. A check of the duty logs would prevent the system from being abused when the staff wasn’t on duty.

In order for someone to visit as an out patient or a patient in a ward it does actually help if there is medical staff in the building to care for them or the patient they are visiting.

I’ve not read the article but if as @Oldjim says this is a flagrant abuse of the parking regulations then I agree, pay the fine and learn from your mistake. Just because you’re in a caring profession it doesn’t give you any right to abuse a system that is there for the benefit of everyone.

P.S. For what it's worth out local hospital don't charge anyone for parking it's all free. Like it should be.

Community Veteran

To repeat an earlier edit

There is a Park and Ride which they could and should have used http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/park-and-ride

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

The vast majority of the staff managed quite well and just because a few nurses decided to make a protest - knowing full well the likely effect - I am supposed to feel sorry for them

OJ these people work long unsociable hours. They clean up vomit, blood, excrement. They deal with druggies, alcoholics and threatening behaviour. They work in departments with no air conditioning and a lot of heat generating bodies. They often travel in from areas where there is no suitable public transport. Do you really think its unreasonable for them to be able to walk out of the door and get into their nearby car at the end of a 12 hour shift dealing with all of that? - I don't.

Checking - they could and should have used the Park and Ride http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/park-and-ride

Do you think the P&R will be operating in the middle of the night at 4am?

These are DOCTORS AND NURSES OJ, not back room office staff sending out appointment letters.

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

The vast majority of the staff managed quite well and just because a few nurses decided to make a protest

Forgot to comment on this bit...

A "few" nurses could not collect 100k parking tickets. Lets say the average nurse does 4 days a week (12 hour shifts remember - many can't do 5 days). 52 * 4 = 208 tickets a year per nurse.

Now this goes back to 2016 so literally about a years worth of tickets.

100,000 / 208 = 480 odd staff.

Thats if i'm understanding the details correctly. You're better with facts and figures than me OJ so i'm sure you'd be able to provide a far better analysis than myself.

But going by that above.. lets say they work 5 days a week.. (and remember i've not included weeks of annual leave):

52*5 = 260 tickets a year per staff member.

100k / 260 = 384 members of staff.