cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion - Should the BBFC ban films deemed unsuitable?

Fixes: 125

Discussion - Should the BBFC ban films deemed unsuitable?

Is this the sickest movie ever made? Film board refuses to classify Human Centipede 2 as it could ‘h...
The UK's movie ratings body has taken the unusual step of refusing outright to classify a new horror film - and warned there was a real risk of harm to viewers.

Personally I'd prefer to make my own choices as to what I view but good information and guidlines will always be helpful.
I have always liked the horror genre but prefer action/thriller movies. I will watch almost any movie whether it has good or bad rating/reviews then make up my own mind.
I've seen all the Saw films and couldn't understand what the fuss was about. After all, it's fantasy, make-up and special effects.
Can films really have a detrimental effect invoking violence in the watcher or are those people pre-disposed to such acts anyway? I believe the latter.
Children, I feel, should be protected from seeing such graphical images but that, surely, is down to the parents?
Are there any films you've seen and wished you hadn't or any that you would avoid 'at all costs'.
Me, there's only one film I have avoided so far and that is The Exorcist'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Discussion - Should the BBFC ban films deemed unsuitable?

Well it depends on who is banning it -
The Mary Whitehouse lot - remember them do they still exist? The National Viewers and listeners association wasn't it bunch of loosers  Cheesy
The church - like the life of Christ wasn't it? Never seen it yet - didn't want to  Grin
Someone else?
Fixes: 47

This thought always comes to mind when I see a discussion about film censorship.
If some films are so corrupting then censors who have served a term of duty should be monitored closely.
Yes I know that's a load of %*&!^^  but I do agree with Mav. Films and video games don't make psychopathic killers, they're born.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, Strat, it's quite heartwarming isn't it - that these brave film censors should risk so much personal harm on our behalf.  Roll eyes
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Me, there's only one film I have avoided so far and that is The Exorcist'.

coincidence.....me too.
Although I think Mamma-Mia should have been banned Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

" I am a big boy now, and I can make up my own mind"..... Versus,  "we (the censors) have checked this out and think it should only be seen by ......"
My vote goes for the censors.... If they give a film too low a rating, then it will lose money !. ( and a lot of enemies)....  ( cinema`s and the producers)
.. if they give a film a high rating, it will make millions, and a lot of enemies... (the do -gooders)
However on the other side of the coin... I know someone who used to be a "reasonable" sort of guy, but then he got "into" the really heavy war games (on line) and spent ALL of his spare time on the laptop, with phones on, totally ignoring his wife, and daughter, when he did manage to tear himself away, he was very very aggressive to anyone who spoke to him, even if it was a simple question like "what do you want for tea"... He was so totally taken over by the action, and actions in the game, he believed he was invincible and took enormous risks when he would normally have been quite careful and calculating about life decisions...
so please..... don`t give me that c about "it`s only a film/game and nobody ever gets really hurt".... he eventually stopped after being found wandering the tracks of Snowdon, looking for somewhere to jump from...
"Yes, I knew him well"... might well have been his epitaph....  because he was my son-in-law.......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

There will always be people who get too deep into films/games and think they are one of the characters - no one on here I hope  Shocked
But on the flip side does the age marking on films/DVD's actually get used by parents? I know that some of my in-laws allowed their kids to watch 18 rated action movies (when they were about 10-12 yo). Also is the 9 o'clock watershed still adhered to ? (you know kids stop watching at 9 so they start swearing etc  Crazy)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Hairy

There will always be people who get too deep into films/games and think they are one of the characters -

Which, kinda, negates strat`s and Mav`s comments

Yes I know that's a load of %*&!^^  but I do agree with Mav. Films and video games don't make psychopathic killers, they're born.

After all, it's fantasy, make-up and special effects.
Can films really have a detrimental effect invoking violence in the watcher or are those people pre-disposed to such acts anyway? I believe the latter.

and who knows, at what age the effect of these films start to warp the mind?

Children, I feel, should be protected from seeing such graphical images but that, surely, is down to the parents?

Do you really expect parents to spend hours watching every film/DVD/Computer (violence or other) Game..... before allowing their children to watch them?  a physical impossibility I should think, what with all the other "little jobs" they have to do bringing them up... shopping, washing, work, signing on, looking for jobs, working out where to go on next years hols ,..... etc etc...)
So on the one hand you want "no censorship".... and on the other hand .....you do want someone to advise younger( or anyone) about the content of the package they are about to view.... that "someone" you say should be the parents.... much easier to use the present system, and parents will know by the label on the box, whether it is suitable for their children.....
Also, there is the point that if a censor decides a film is too violent for a certain age group, it is a good guide for those who do not wish to view violence.....
Censorship is a "much wider church" than you think.......

Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: Hairy
There will always be people who get too deep into films/games and think they are one of the characters -

Which, kinda, negates strat`s and Mav`s comments

I don't think that is what was implied by my comments. I feel that if people get too deep into their films/games and cross the boundary between fact and fiction then that is a 'fault' in them rather than with the media used.
Quote from: shutter
and who knows, at what age the effect of these films start to warp the mind?

I believe films/games can have an effect on people.. some good some bad or we wouldn't have advertsing. But i still believe those that go 'over the edge' must have some form of predisposition prior to viewing.
Violence isn't something that grew up in the late 20th century, Jack the ripper never had violent films or games to urge him on.
I don't expect parents to view every film/game then censore it for their children that is what the BBFC rating system is for. Parents can then make up their own mind what they deem suitable for them. Some children mature enough to watch a 15 rated film at home at 13 or 14. Parents can make an informed choice. But these ratings should be inforced for purchase or viewing at cinemas, etc. where parents may not even be with their children.
Banning the film actually makes it more desirable to watch and often becomes cult-like. You only have to look at films like The Evil Dead - banned in the 80's, re-released a few years later with 8 minutes cut. Re-re-released more recently in it's entirety as suitable for all adults. When I saw this film (about 84) I found it hilarious and not at all scarey.
Also, look at songs that have been banned, especially by Aunty Beeb: Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Je Taime - Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg and others reached number 1. God Save the Queen - Sex Pisols was one of the biggest selling singles of its year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Ha this is a good one.. Can always ask before movies were invented who made the people more barbaric?
Was it the stories told by the elders?
As to always find someone to blame, they used to say hard rock/metal was the devils work and many tried to shut that 'movement' down!
Or was it punk, rock and roll.. I can't remember
Me and my mates when about 8-10 watched film like The Burning, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Exorcist, Friday-13th and many other horror films which have lapsed from my brain. These were on Beta max and did we turn out blood ravaged crazies..Nah
To me..I believe the news is far more disturbing. You only have to watch it to start getting angry, upset and the like.