cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery - an expensive lift back home

Community Veteran

Discovery - an expensive lift back home

Due to bad weather at Kennedy Space Centre the Space Shuttle Discovery couldn't land so it hopped over to California to put down.  Now it has to be transported back to Florida at a cost of $1.7M.  Quite a price for thumbing a lift Grin
The cross-country trip involves transporting the shuttle atop a modified jumbo jet and will take more than a week.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32777128/ns/technology_and_science-space/
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Discovery - an expensive lift back home

Now artmo - I expected better of you.  Wink The 747 won't take a week to do the journey  Cheesy
It's the preparation, and lifting onto the 747 that takes the time, the flight will only take a few hours.
I think we discussed this before - but several of us here saw the 747 with Shuttle on it's back when it visited Stansted in 1983
Community Veteran

We were expecting to see it land but no luck but saw the pics from Edwards AFB.  Yes Mal I know the actual trip will only take a few hours Wink  It would have been a slow flight if it took a week Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

they obviously allowed for check in queues and a hand search by security  Grin
Community Veteran

You're right there Jim.  Having passed through Gatwick a few days ago I know what you mean.  From the time I joined the line to go airside to the time I entered the departure lounge took 23 minutes.  A complete farce Angry
Community Veteran

Still wonderful to see the Shuttle after all these years
Yes - these days flying can be slower than getting the train for many UK flights - because of all the extended security / check in times.
But today I was delighted to see the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane of the RAF Historic flight as it circled over Dollar in Scotland before going back to the Leuchars air show.
Community Veteran

Video of Discovery landing at Edwards AFB
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb9_1252724418
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well I left Befast International on the 20:55 flight - thur, sched  flight time 1:15, was in my car leaving Stansted at 22:00
Easy Jet
coach from plane to arrivals, walk in bags going on to turn table, pick up bags, walk to door get on bus to carpark, slight queue for exit gate and off we go , completed  essential shopping, milk, few veg, local paper, cash up - Braintree  Tesco 23:07
not bad for speed

i