Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discount Supermarkets

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Discount Supermarkets

The secrets of Aldi's success
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2692087/CITY-FOCUS-How-big-grocers-tough-time-Mail-...

We occasionally use the nearest Aldi to us, but only at 8am Monday Mornings.
Not a big shop at all, just a few items we like.
(based on taste, not price)
In/Out in 5 minutes, after asking for someone at the checkout.
Main problem, is the Staff are so multi-skilled, they never have enough checkouts open, even though they are supposed to have a 3 customer waiting limit.
The check out assistants are supposed to scan 1,000 items an hour. (Which they appear to achieve !!)
At other times, there are long queues at the checkouts, we don't even bother.
Another problem is they are situated near the town centre, so the car park is often full with town centre shoppers.

Cannot comment on Lidl, as the nearest one is many miles away.

The local Tesco & Asda we use, it is a pleasure to shop there.
Ample Car Parking, many tills open, many very helpful staff around, just watch out for the YoYo price fluctuations in Tesco
Normal price, then down 30% - 50%, back up again, back down again... etc
It's a waiting and knowing the system "game".
Then buying a few at the "lower" price.

They sell a cross cut shredder, Normal Price £29, then £19, then £29, then £19 on a fortnightly basis.
And quite a few food items too.
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Discount Supermarkets

Yes we use Aldi in Scarborough it's ten miles away but then most things are when you live in rural North Yorkshire
We buy on quality and taste but the prices are always good to have also
My favourite is the steak hung for twenty five days I get the rump and sirloin for Swimbo perfect for the barbecue. I note our local Tesco (ten minutes away) is now copying them but not as good!
Smiley  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK

The check out assistants are supposed to scan 1,000 items an hour. (Which they appear to achieve !!)

I think they target to scan 1,000-2,000 items an hour, a productivity target that comes from Germany.
In Germany, you have to do 2-3 years of training/studying (known as Ausbildung) to work in a supermarket.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I remember shopping in Germany, they were talking about brining in fines for people failing to clear the checkout fast enough, and certainly some of the stores in our area would ban people who didn't manage to grab there goods and move away from the till within 30 seconds of paying made shopping with the family a complete nightmare
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

Will be visiting our local Aldi later this morning for first half of our weekly shop.
We then alternate between Tesco and Morrisons for rest of shop - this week it's Morrisons.
Aldi & Tesco are next to each other about 1.5 miles away and Morrisons a further 0.75 miles.
Have used Aldi since they first opened here in the cash only days.
When on holiday in France we've popped into a couple of their stores and I sometimes spend a few minutes on line seeing what's for sale in France and Belgium.
Community Veteran

We have used Aldi, but much prefer as Lidl. Really good prices similar shopping experience but they have lots of special purchases on tech gear, gardening, tools etc.
nanotm
Pro

as a general rule we shop online unless someone is giving us a lift to Aldi/Lidl the food there is different and preferred to the main supermarket
but as with everything its all about the transport
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

I take my daughter for her weekly Aldi shop and I see many people in there with 'bags for life' from the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury.
Her regular Aldi has a Sainsbury superstore across the road and a Tesco superstore round the corner.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

We shop in Aldi about 2x a week. The bread,veg and meat selections are usually cheaper than anywhere else locally.
Nearest Lidil is about 30 miles away (round trip) so not there often.
Mostly it is Tesco for usual stuff (since SHMBO works there I am there 5+ times a week) or Asda for special items (like their own brand conflakes great!)
WTF
Grafter

They have done well, despite the other retailers best efforts.
When they first came to the UK there lots of stories about the major retailers (naming no names) telling suppliers that if they found the suppliers products in Aldi/Lidl stores, they would delist them. 
Aldi/Lidl used to generally only carry products from one manufacturers - so maybe only Heinz Beans or only Coleman's mustard - and they would ask the manufacturers to quote prices for being sole supplier.  In the case of a regular supermarket, this would get them terrific prices but because of the threats above, nobody wanted the business.  I heard a story about one salesguy quoted double his regular prices .. and got listed because everybody else quoted even more.
TORPC
Grafter

I also have to admit
Preference to both Aldi & Lidls as they have better quality food, that is inexpensive compared to Asda / Sainsburys et al
Fixes: 125

It's been a long time since I shopped at Lidl but the nearest Aldi looks cheap and cheerful but those looks are deceiving as the stuff we've bought has usually been of good quality. The queues at the checkout haven't been too bad but you certainly get the feeling of being rushed through and out. Never had a problem with parking whatever time of day we've gone there as opposed to Tesco whose car park is frequently full although it's probably 10x the size.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most of our weekly shop is at Aldi, clearly they are making a profit on the goods they sell so it makes me wonder how much more profit the big supermarkets have been making out of us all these years, very rare I use the large supermarkets anymore but  they now sem to be fighting back with lower prices, pity they did not do this years ago before Aldi and Lidi got established,
So successful are Aldi & Lidi they are planning to open over a 100 new stores in the next 12 months including some stores in the more posher areas of the country
TORPC
Grafter

Thats nice to know as it will be producing jobs, for the much needed unemployed Wink
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Id rather jab a fork in my eye!
I hate shopping (especially groceries) with a passion, we do it all online, if it can't be ordered online, would rather go without.