cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Movie

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Disaster Movie

Without wishing to be seen as trying to score points off today's tragic events in Madrid, it rather reminded me of a made for TV documentary of some years ago, that if I remember correctly began with a hypothetical crash at Heathrow, which was followed by a series of unrelated disasters, road crashes, power failures and many others that ultimately brought Britain to a standstill. The purpose of the programme was to highlight the un-preparedness in general of supposedly efficient authorities etc.
I think it was called something like "The Day Britain stopped" or something of that nature. Anybody remember it, or know if its available anywhere? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Disaster Movie

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thank you Barry, I knew there was an air disaster in it somewhere.
Have you ever seen it? I found it totally absorbing, and so very plausible. If not try and do so.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The plane involved in the crash was an MD 82 manufactured by McDonnell Douglas.  It's an old plane but there is no suggestion of anything being wrong with it.  The MD 82s are gradually being phased out as they are now regarded as noisy and uneconomic to run.
Community Veteran

The problem today is there is no Civil Defense. I used to be in the civil defense and we did all sort in peace time like Abervan. We had the equipment and expertize to handle disasters but there is nothing now as it was all given to the Fire services. There is still a need for this civil defense as the rescue services can soon be overwhelmed. We had radio communication, rescue, medics and everything you could need including nuclear training.
It used to be great fun as well I remember a massive training exercise  in natwich  were over 500 people took part with casualties and everything and during it a few locals hadnt heard and thought war had started.
Community Veteran

Yes, you are right about the Civil Defence and the work they did.  As you say it's now handed over to the seperate emergency services and I wonder how well they are integrated together. As for equipment sometimes this is lacking today.  Part of the problem with the Kings Cross tube disaster was the lack of radios that worked underground.  Even today they still don't have a fully working system.