Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Parking in Supermarket Car Parks

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Disabled Parking in Supermarket Car Parks

It does annoy me when I see perfectly able bodied drivers parking in Disabled Parking slots..
Do disabled people not go out shopping before 9am ?
Oh, I'll just park here for a few minutes... it's early.
Observation, are for many it seems, obese people who park in Disabled Parking spots, obese because they park near to the store, and are too lazy and don't walk the extra few feet to an empty space  ?
Which no doubt is repeated everywhere they park.
Our local Tesco wipes its' hands of dealing with drivers who park in Disabled Spots without a Disabled badge, nothing to do with us they say !!
On the other hand, Aldi actively fine drivers who flout these spaces, especially at our local Aldi.
We know the Manager quite well, he had an incident recently where a middle aged woman parked her car in a Mother & Child spot. the TEENAGER child emerged from the sports car, and they both walked off into Town, not even going into the store !
This was observed by the Manager, he issued a £80 fine, they were not too pleased !!
And they have not been back.
The white markings on the ground showed a Mum & Toddler in a pushchair, as a clue !
79 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Disabled Parking in Supermarket Car Parks

not all people who qualify for a disabled sticker have visible signs of their disability, so your observation is a little blinkered to say the least.
also, someone who is obese may indeed qualify for a disable sticker.
also, Aldi cannot "fine" anyone. they can issue an invoice, but they have no authority to "fine" anyone.
the markings on a supermarket car park have no legal standing and as such as just a request.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

That does annoy me as well, but as chenks76 says it isn't always obvious if someone "qualifies" for a disabled spot or not, though if they do, I would have thought they would have a blue badge.  The parent and child spaces get me.  Tesco (at least 2 around my area anyway) specify it parent and child under 5.  I've got an 8 week old and a 3 year old, and plenty of times have struggled getting them out of the car in a normal narrow space, whilst there have been adults on there own getting out of cars on there own in the parent and child spaces.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: chenks76
not all people who qualify for a disabled sticker have visible signs of their disability, so your observation is a little blinkered to say the least.
also, someone who is obese may indeed qualify for a disable sticker.

My observation was about Drivers who didn't display a Disabled badge, as mentioned within the post.
And...
Quote from: PlusComUK

It does annoy me when I see perfectly able bodied drivers parking in Disabled Parking slots..
nadger
Rising Star

We normally park in Parent & Child slot at Aldi but would never use disabled bay.
Since my cancer surgery 6 years ago I need the extra width to open door fully and doubt these bays have any legal status.
Even at 80 ( next month) with COPD I probably don't qualify for blue badge - I suppose I should enquire
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: PlusComUK
My observation was about Drivers who didn't display a Disabled badge, as mentioned within the post.

your rant was about lazy or fat people who in your eyes weren't disabled, yet you failed to realise that some people have no outwardly indications of being disabled.
your only mention about badges was in relation to tesco, and the reason why they "wash their hands" of it is simply because it's private land and there is no law in place to dictate who can and can't park someone. it's a civil matter and no "fine" can be levied.
Community Veteran

We have an interesting one in our local mini Tesco. There is also a day nursery and a GP surgery served by the same car park, and the four disabled spaces are at certain times of day taken up by mum's delivering their off-spring to the nursery, when I have on occasion taken issue with a mum with a child or children  that is/are perfectly able to walk, tell me often abusively that she can park in the disabled spaces...I know she can't, when at those times of day the rest of the car-park is virtually empty.
With mum's who get a buggy out of the car for a child who is not of walking age, I take no notice although it doesn't change the principle.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: nadger
We normally park in Parent & Child slot at Aldi but would never use disabled bay.
Since my cancer surgery 6 years ago I need the extra width to open door fully and doubt these bays have any legal status.
Even at 80 ( next month) with COPD I probably don't qualify for blue badge - I suppose I should enquire

I have no problem with people who obviously need extra space at the side to get in & out of their vehicle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If supermarkets have problems with parking space abuse they could always a vehicle number plate recognition system linked to a barrier at the entrance of their car park. Those who abuse the parking would then have their parking permission suspended for x months.It is private land so the owners can pick and choose who they allow in. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

The parent and child bays are a nice idea and I did make good use of them when my daughter was of the appropriate age but I don't think they are a necessity. I would rather see more bays for Blue Badge holders. In fact I can't see why they can't have Blue Badge-only bays closest then a section of Blue Badge/parent and child bays to be used by both. It never annoys me if I see anyone seemingly able-bodied using the bays as long as a Blue Badge is displayed. If they obtained it fraudulently that is up to their conscience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Sadly too many people take things at face value, does the person look disabled?
There is a question should these spaces be limited to blue badge holders only?  Personally I think no, but I guess it would make it more easier to determine eligibility.
Fixes: 47

We once parked up in Tesco's Mother and Child area and as we extracted the toddlers from the car a young woman on her own pulled into a similar bay nearby.
I gave her a 'you are guilty' look and she said "I'm just a big kid" and went into the store. Angry
I don't know about the legality of designated parking bays but to me it's common courtesy, something which is no longer common Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Whilst I agree with most of the comments made in the above posts there are cases where people have Blue badges but abuse their use, for example they should only be used if the person who they are issued to is in the car but this is not always the case, badges are also issued to some people who should not really be getting them and then there is the issue of forged badges, with todays modern colour printers not such a difficult task, on the otherhand some people might have a painful condition for a short period which would not warrant a blue badge but using a disabled parking space might be warranted.
SWMBO had a hip replacement recently and was on crutches for a short time but (quite rightly) we had no blue badge, we did not use a disabled parking space but would it have been wrong to do so ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Makes me glad I walk to and from the shops, all this kerfuffle over parking spaces is just silly... Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
Whilst I agree with most of the comments made in the above posts there are cases where people have Blue badges but abuse their use, for example they should only be used if the person who they are issued to is in the car but this is not always the case,

not strictly speaking true,
so long as the registered vehicle is being used on behalf of the person to whom the blue badge is issued then it is in fact perfectly legal, for instance when I needed my prescription collected or my shopping done but was unable to physically be present for the task in hand then the person acting on my behalf was free to use the blue badge and its exemptions to conduct the applicable tasks whilst using the badge in accordance with local rules, it was also perfectly permissible to use the badge whilst on my behalf taking my offspring to the park when I wasn't present, so long as they are acting on my behalf then the badge is not being abused, its only abuse if the driver uses the vehicle with the badge for any task that is not on my behalf and without me present .
having a had one for some years this was used quite extensively by the person who was my designated driver in the registered vehicle (you have to get a separate badge for each vehicle and it can only be used on the main one) when for instance they were collecting my kids from school for me whilst I was elsewhere like at hospital.
blue badge rules are very clearly printed on the photo card counterpart but often not understood by people who don't have one/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you