Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disability Discrimination Act 20 Years On

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Disability Discrimination Act 20 Years On

Watchdog on The Disability Discrimination Act 20 Years On
In the final programme of the series, the team goes undercover to investigate what getting in the way of some people enjoying their Christmas party.
Season 36 Episode 8
First broadcast: 03 December 2015 on BBC One
Video here
It's shocking how much things have not changed in 20 years  Angry  Angry
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Disability Discrimination Act 20 Years On

Shocking? are you serious?
This is the country that operates on stiching people up, conning them, robbing them, telling them to "get a grip" etc etc...
It will look good in history though won't it - even if nothing really changes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

It can even happen in care homes which was quite a shock to me.
When my dad was due to leave hospital in 2010 we had to find a care home for him as his needs were far too great to be dealt with at home especially as my mum was wheel-chair bound by then. I remember one of the homes we visited had no proper wheelchair access. They said they had a wooden ramp somewhere but couldn't find it. I called for the manager and he suggested that between us we lift mum up in her wheelchair into the building. No way, Pedro. What if there was a fire or other emergency when visiting. Poor show on their part Sad Wish I had complained to the authorities but had too much on my mind at the time Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Do all premises have to comply to the law if they are not suitable because of size or layout? I know 2 restaurants I use that it's not practical to modify for wheelchair access, one is on a boat and the other to small to install lifts.
Community Veteran

I knew a restaurant some years ago that was a protected building. The owner was not required to modify the premises to make them compliant.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@itsme, All new builds should comply, but 9 times out of 10 don't comply with the Disability Discrimination Act
Plus all major renovations in businesses premises should comply, but I know of a caffe restaurant what is having major renovation to it, the owner of the business is italian he is having 2 buildings knocked into one, it does not have Wheelchair Access to it.
Community Veteran

@Midnight, I'm surprised the local planning authority allows the work to be carried out if it's non-compliant.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

There's a number of funny goings on in Middlesbrough what makes you go hmmm this is wrong.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Midnight
All new builds should comply, but 9 times out of 10 don't comply with the Disability Discrimination Act

As a construction professional I'd be interested in understanding your justification for that statement. All the commercial buildings we do are compliant with the EA - by the way the DDA is dead!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

1) Disability Discrimination Act is not Dead, it was incorporated in to the wishy washy Equality Act.
2) All new builds should comply but they don't wen it comes to non commercial buildings, and not all new commercial buildings comply with the Disability Discrimination Act or the Equality Act.
I have been in buildings that were built in 2000 and some from 2010 what make a mockery of the Disability Discrimination Act
drj
Aspiring Pro

Well your view is that it's notdead is wrong in my opinion. It's now the EA not the DDA.
Non-commercial buildings - do you mean residential? Residential buildings don't have to comply - but commercial ones do...
I await your evidence.
Community Veteran

As I have said before if there is any noncompliance it should be reported to the appropriate authority. I am surprised any new commercial building would not be compliant.
nanotm
Pro

completely new builds have to comply with the E.A. for commercial premises, there is zero requirement for non commercial premises to comply with it, the EA does not require buildings that existed prior to its implementation or that were planned prior to its implementation to be brought up to spec even when major alterations are being undertaken unless doing so is commercially viable (cost effective) for the business concerned, even if that involves a complete teardown and rebuild of the place to the original plans of the place.....
at the end of the day each business will comply so far as is required for it to function and generate new income, nobody will "waste time and money" unless it means a new revenue stream or failing to do so will cost more than getting the work(s) done.

that was the case under the DDA and its still the case under the EA and it cannot be changed legally unless the local council or central government actually pays for the work(s) to be undertaken (including compensation for any losses incurred by the business) and that is a fact of law brought about by a court case nearly 20 years ago when the DDA was first brought into being, the ever present rational of "proportional response"
it might be shit for those of us that are disabled and have to suffer as a consequence but we are still a very small minority and we can always take our business elsewhere (or so I got told the last time I made a complaint) funnily enough I did just that and I glibly watched as hundreds of others disgusted with the rersponce did the same and the place went out of business /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you