Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disability Discrimination Act 1995

RichAllen
Grafter

Disability Discrimination Act 1995

Topic and poll.
Because I've been saying for years that the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act 1995) isn't worth the paper it's written on, I just thought I'd start a discussion and poll on the subject.
It's not worth it IMO because the government doesn't enforce the Act, hence I've been doing nothing but voluntary work since I left School in April 1992 and then came home from College in Grimsby in April 1995.
One particular example, is that back in 1997, I was offered a 9 month job at Boots in Meadowhall covering for a woman on Maternity leave, I lasted a month, because the Management, in their infinite wisdom, had me putting very sharp tags on baby clothes in the food and baby department, I kept stabbing myself with the sharp tags due to poor dexterity, and one day I stabbed myself quite bad and shouted a naughty word, which a customer heard and reported me so I got the boot! Now OK I get that swearing on the shop floor is a BIG no no, but if I hadn't been put on a dangerous job I wouldn't have done it, but they said I was too slow at serving customers due to various cards such as store loyalty cards, credit and debit cards etc.
If I had thought of it at the time, I could've sued the pants off Boots for unlawful termination, but they're a big company so I didn't, this was the closest I've ever come to paid work, the only good thing I got out of it was a staff discount on the Star Wars original trilogy special edition box set on VHS.
So anyway, DDA 1995, thoughts?
19 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Disability Discrimination Act 1995

Is it the government responsibility to enforce it? Thought it would be the courts.
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Is it the government responsibility to enforce it? Thought it would be the courts.

The Courts answer to the government, and it was a government Act under the last Tory administration.
Community Veteran

None of the above choices apply.  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Same as HP................none of the choices apply.
RichAllen
Grafter

Why comment then? Except to boost your post counts?
Community Veteran

Because I wanted to reply, but couldn't. Maybe make the poll-setter think about providing options so that anyone/everyone can provide a realistic/honest reply and get more meaningful analysis of the answers?  Wink
Quote from: RichAllen
Except to boost your post counts?
A cheap and unworthy jibe, unless this thread is not actually as serious as it purports to be.  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It all looks nice on paper I suppose but it's worthless. I've had two employers discriminate against me for my health problems. I don't like to admit it but I am from a legal point of view (and I've been advised of this by a solicitor to my face) disabled.
All that happened with me was life at work became harsher and harsher, more hassle, more yellings at, more threats of disciplinary action etc. I was always at fault even when I wasn't and no matter how much harder than others I worked, I was still in the wrong and not working hard enough while we had many slackers who would do as little as possible got no hassle at all. Moons ago slackers got away with nothing except the sack and hard workers were recognised but not these days  Crazy
I've also applied for more local authority jobs ticking the disability box for the guaranteed interview. Did I get an interview? Nope  Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: 7up

I've also applied for more local authority jobs ticking the disability box for the guaranteed interview. Did I get an interview? Nope  Sad

So have I, and the 2 ticks thing is pointless IMO, because contrary to what they tell you, it doesn't guarantee an interview, on the contrary it means your application is more likely to get binned IMO.
Community Veteran

Indeed. The last one I applied for I had the experience (rare in that industry) and I'd done similar in other jobs but I didn't even get offered an interview. I was gutted and very annoyed.
Needless to say I FOI'd them and they naturally had some get out clause..
RichAllen
Grafter

What gets me as well, is that a few months back I went to the local branch of Remploy to try and get work, and they told me that  when I apply for anything, it was their company policy that clients did not declare their disability! Pardon? Not only does that prove that even they think the DDA is worthless, but it's dishonest which is against my nature and everything I believe in.
Community Veteran

it was their company policy that clients did not declare their disability!

Clients or employees?
To be honest I often think it's better if you simply don't bother telling the employer these days. It's all very well when times are booming and there is plenty of money around but when there isn't all the niceties that the rules bring about seem to vanish. The government got busted on that a week or two back over something with some judge reminding them that it still applied in a recession. Can't remember what it was about now but i heard it on the radio in the car.
Anyway i personally think that the DDA is pretty worthless unless you're taking legal action against an employer. I now think there is little point being honest and declaring disabilities, I've been nothing but honest about my problems in the past and now I'm out of work  Roll eyes
Makes you wonder what the point is..
Community Veteran

If someone is disabled and capable of doing a job as equally as someone who isn't disabled then there should be no discrimination.
In a similar vein of thought, if two able bodied (i.e. not disabled) people went for the same job then the person who would be more capable of doing the job will usually get the job.
Everybody should be given the chance to prove they are capable of doing the job though - refusing an interview to someone who could potentially do the job because of a disability is in my eyes very wrong.
I have worked in the past with people who have had disabilities ranging from ASD related to paraplegic and have never had issues there although obviously some considerations need to be taken into account with the working environment.
But yes, the disability discrimination act is a bit of a joke with a lot of companies but it's not just the disabled who are discriminated against - you also have race, age, sex and even your accent which can affect an employers decision to employ someone.
A guy I worked with in a wheelchair was sacked - he tried to say it was because he was in a wheelchair but he was told it was because he was a knob. He was a total knob. I can't stand people who hide behind their disabilities and use it as an excuse for their own personality deficiencies (which in turn can make them very hard to employ). The other 95% of people I've worked with who have had disabilities have been inspiring people and if I was in a position to would employ them over an able bodied person purely because of their dedication to work and determination in life.
RichAllen
Grafter

While I was at Remploy, I was "interviewed" (if you can call it that, I don't), for a full time position at Dixon's call centre on Sheffield Parkway, I got halfway through before I literally stood up and walked out, because I explained to the interviewer that for reasons I'd rather not go into on here, I can't come off benefits so I can only work part time, up to 16 hours per week, they said the work was exclusively full time.. What gets me about this, is that the Remploy advisers knew about my benefit status, and sent me for the interview anyway.
Me working in a call centre would've presented all sorts of problems anyway, with me wearing a hearing aid they would've had to provide special equipment for me to be able to use the headsets etc. as required by the "reasonable adjustments" outlined in the DDA.

itsme
Grafter

The Courts answer to the government, and it was a government Act under the last Tory administration.

Courts do not answer to the government in fact it's the other way round. The government draft laws after that the court will interpret and implement them