OMG thanks for a laugh Gary.  It's a wonder the PCs worked at all Undecided
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Dirty PC

Jeez , and I thought mine was bad last time I cleaned it  Grin
scootie
Grafter

am still picking choclate bourbons out my psu fan and some hot choclate off my case vents . thanks kids  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Once had to visit a server in an environmental office (council) to look at the server as it "was making a funny noise", and what I saw was like some of the pics shown above. About 1" of dust coated the entire inside of the case and it was a wonder it still worked at all!
In another case I had called out HP to look at one of the servers in our "server room" he wanted to bring in a hoover but was told NO WAY! (This server room had the council main frame in it as well  Cheesy, was fed with positive pressure and very clean) when he opened the box it was like new Cool
Personally I HATE working on pc's who's owners SMOKE THEY STINK! And are usually covered in nicotine inside and out.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Hairy Biker, my lase smokes and your write my computer is covered in nicotine inside and out, I have to clean it out at least once every 6 months.  Sad
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just seen this:
[quote="Hardware Abuse"]
A friend of mine asked me to take a look at her computer. She said the computer was unusually "quiet" and would reboot itself on occasion. I surmised correctly that the fan on her power supply was faulty. She was a chain smoker and apparently smoked a lot while working on the computer; not only was the power supply fan gummed up with revolting tar and nicotine, but the CPU's cooling fan was clogged beyond use, and the cdrom drive drawer would not open. This is the only computer I have ever worked on that died from smoking.
In reply to the above anecdote of stupidity, a reader sent in the following:
I've seen a computer die from smoking, too.
A customer came in with a dead computer, claimed it was under warranty, and asked if we could fix it. We had look at it, and before we even laid eyes on it, we could smell it. Imagine the stench of an overused ashtray times ten.
We looked at the yellow case (it was supposed to be beige) and the date of purchase (3-4 months previous) and goggled in disbelief that she actually had any lungs left.
"What are you doing with this computer?" I asked in total disbelief.
It was at a taxi service. She smoked, the cabbies smoked, and the room was apparently only about eight by twelve. Smoking took place 24/7 in this place, and her fingers and the computer bore witness. We opened the case, and there were visible deposits of brown tar everywhere. The whole thing was gummy and slimy inside.
We had to tell her she was on her own. Naturally, she countered with the "it's under warranty" argument, but the computer was well beyond that. She left quite mad. We insisted she take her computer with her when she left.

Shocked
Community Veteran

If smoke can do that to a computer imagine what it does to your lungs Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

indeed, ive seen some pretty nasty sights too
my dad works in a factory which makes clay products - looked inside one of their 'dead' machines - everything was nicely coated by a good cm of bright orange clay dust. Very pleasant Cheesy