cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direction Arrows

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Direction Arrows

Whilst driving through a couple of Cities that I have never been to before I found myself in the wrong lane despite being on the right road, the only indication of this was when I saw the white arrow in the road indicating the route went left or right seconds before the turning and far to late to change lanes without causing an accident.
Does anyone else have this problem or is it just down to my age ?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Direction Arrows

I do sometimes as well - is it down to my age
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What direction arrows Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yup... nothing to do with age.... just the stupid road planning dept....
In Bridgewater, the A38 is (almost) well signposted... and even has it on the lanes, however, at a set of traffic lights, (not far from Morrisons), there are three lanes of traffic.... the left lane is marked with a left turn arrow, and the other two are marked as straight on arrows and A38, however, as soon as you get across the junction, if you are in the Right hand lane, you find yourself (a few yards further on) in a Right Turn lane, with a marker arrow , just a few yards short of the turning point and the words RIGHT TURN on the tarmac..... local traffic does not like it when you suddenly indicate a change of lane, and try to get into the correct lane for the A38....
and it happens all over the place. so nowt to do with age...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Glad it's not just me !  Smiley
zedingrove
Grafter

Pick an Arrow

jmd
Grafter

Driving through Cheltenham recently I was heading for Swindon and was very confused by the signage and arrows there - at one point it had arrow on road saying Swindon turn left but the road sign said turn right!  I turned right as it was the direction I felt Swindon was in and it worked out fine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In London it is a matter of honour that drivers use the wrong lane and then cut across at the last moment if  in the process you'll gain a few inches of progress over your opponents.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I know its slightly off topic, but only slightly. But d'you know nothing on the road annoys me more than those drivers who insist in waiting until the last few yards before attempting to change lanes where a road narrows probably for road works or an obstruction of some sort requiring the normal two or more lanes to be reduced to one. In spite that there have been signs up for over a mile or so before the enforced lane change.
You see them in your mirrors roaring up to the cones or barriers at the last possible moment turn on their indicators and begin to "nudge" their way into the rest of the traffic who have politely formed a proper queue. I'm saying nothing about social status here but a high proportion of these rude drivers seem to drive up-market black BMW's, Audi's, Merc's and Jags, and for some reason Vauxhall Insiga's which seem to be the current "in" rep's car,  And don't seem to like it much when the hoi-poli won't let them in.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
zedingrove
Grafter

Would love to make a comment petlew on that but.... Oh IC2 males seem to be the dominant factor for doing this  Angry
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you Petlew.  Some people think they are too important to queue with the rest of us. I love it when nobody will let them into the traffic line.  I've also seen helpful lorry drivers who will drive stranding the 2 lanes to prevent the road hogs jumping the queue.
Fixes: 121

I had an experience as described by Petlew and having queued for some time I saw someone zooming down the closing lane.
As I was one of the last cars before the lane closed I edged forward closing the gap. Some of those behind did the same. The other driver was seriously unhappy about this and gave a lot of verbal and probably a few gestures but I ignored him and didn't look.
As we got to the roundabout he overtook on the inside, cut me up and stopped his car and got out approaching mine. As I had my 7 year-old daughter with me I closed all windows and locked the doors. He began banging on my window shouting a few F's. Luckily there was just enough gap between me and the roundabout if I went up the curb to get past so drove off leaving him ranting and shaking his fist. Never a policeman when you want one Angry
Edit: Just to add it was quite a frightening experience. These days when someone attempts to barge in I just touch my forelock and let them Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo, don't tell anybody but, I've been known to do the same thing when driving a coach.
In Watford, on the "Town Hall" roundabout, on the junction of St Albans Road there is a short lay-by bus stop that has a left turn traffic merge at the exit of the stop. All the local bus and coach drivers know about this and pass the stop if not using it in the lane to the right of the stop and correctly merge left after the stops yellow markings. Many, many car drivers use the bus stop as a left turn lane, and get seriously upset to find a bus cutting across their bows while they are still moving in the bus stop.
Local police are fully aware of this and quite often park a patrol car nearby, and are happy to wave genially to the bus/coach driver while pointing out the error of the car drivers ways.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
kmilburn
Grafter

What annoys me (but only slightly) is the people who,  when approaching a lane closure (or end of dual carriageway, etc) where the general principal is to merge in turn, decide to queue from several hundred meters back and get antsy at those who follow the highway code.  Especially those that choose to be obstructive for no good reason.
Fortunately for me,  it's virtually impossible to block me on my motorbike!  Wink  and most people trying to form a long queue leaves plenty of room for me to get past. Cheesy