cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct payment for wages.

Community Veteran

Direct payment for wages.

The company I have worked for for almost 2 years pays weekly into the bank or so I was told when I started. About every 6 or 7 weeks when the money is expected on a Wedensday it is not paid and instead is paid cash on a Friday. Despite continous complaints there is absolutely no attempt made to inform employees is advance to allow them to make arrangements if needed for direct debits etc.
Does anyone else think this is completely unacceptable?
On top of this employees are fed rubbish stories about online banking being down, every 6 weeks?!
Any company I worked for previously made it an absolute priority if there was an issue with wage payments to allow employees time to make arrangements if needed.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Direct payment for wages.

pure eyewash.  what you do about it depends upon whether or not you intend to stay with them.  if you take it to a tribunal, you then have the consequences of that action to deal with.
Community Veteran

Can't understand the company wanting all the hassle of payment in cash.  Bank payments seem a much better way for all.
community
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
The company I have worked for for almost 2 years pays weekly into the bank or so I was told when I started. About every 6 or 7 weeks when the money is expected on a Wedensday it is not paid and instead is paid cash on a Friday. Despite continous complaints there is absolutely no attempt made to inform employees is advance to allow them to make arrangements if needed for direct debits etc.
Does anyone else think this is completely unacceptable?
On top of this employees are fed rubbish stories about online banking being down, every 6 weeks?!
Any company I worked for previously made it an absolute priority if there was an issue with wage payments to allow employees time to make arrangements if needed.

Sounds very dodgy to me.... never heard of this way of conducting a business before......depends how small the company is......sounds like a one-man band?
Community Veteran

It also makes me worry if tax and NI are being dealt with correctly.  Do you know these are being paid by the employer?
Community Veteran

Issue resolved for me anyway. I am leaving. I have another higher paid job lined up, just agreeing on the shift pattern which is why I had not yet handed my notice in, until today that was.
I phoned the company secretary yesterday. She was completely rude and unhelpful as usual so the conversation turned into a debate.
Today upon arriving at the office to collect my cash wages at the end of the day I was taken to the side by one of the two company directors. He took me into his office where he sat down and started mouthing off to me about the way I allegedly spoke to the company secretary on the phone.
As I was not prepared to listen to this I turned to walk out of the office. He then grunted "Where do you think you are going?" I replied "I am going home, It is 10 minutes after finishing time." He then said "If you walk out that door, don't come back." I walked out to my car where I had my notice nicely printed up in an envelope with his name on it. I returned, set it on the desk in front of him and said "As required here is one week's notice in writing." The look on his face made it all worthwhile. He was completely unable to speak and at that I left. Monday morning is going to be difficult!
Community Veteran

Congratulations Sean on your new job and I hope it all works out well for you Smiley  Sounds like you're making the right move.
Community Veteran

I had initially turned down the new job based on it involving a lot of nights and weekends but a guy from the company then phoned me. He said he really wanted to have me onboard and was willing to come to a compromise with the shift pattern. This we are still working on but I will be starting after Easter.
I hate to leave any job on bad terms but in this case I was just pushed too far. Next week is going to be difficult but I always do things by the book and will work the required notice. That way they have absolutely no grounds to mess me about any further.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Was going to reply to this yesterday when I first saw it, but forgot...
First, I am happily paid by BACS. But when I first joined this small independent bus /coach company, I was as is usual on a probational period, when I understand that either party can end the "contract" with no questions asked. During that time I was paid a variety of ways. I voiced at interview a preference to be paid directly into my bank. Many bus/coach staff are very traditional and prefer the warm feel of folding cash on a Friday evening.
Initially, I was paid a flat amount (the bulk) by credit transfer weekly by my employer. the small variable balance (after tax deductions etc.) was paid in cash. My employer at that time had only 3 or 4 staff out of 40 or so who wished to be paid into their banks, so had not ventured into BACS but, after polling his staff, several more changed their minds, making it worthwhile to get it set up. Now, my employer offers BACS as a first choice to new employees, but will pay cash if required.
I have been with the company for just on 5 years, and never cease to be impressed with my employers caring, helpful understanding approach, something sadly lacking these days.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

How's the new job going Sean?  Hope it's what you want.  How was your final week with the previous employer?
Community Veteran

Still in the final week which has being going ok. Splicing lots of fibre which I don't mind. My current boss hasn't said much since but there is not much to say anyway. Start the new job on Monday 12th after my nice Easter week off.