Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit scams

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Direct Debit scams

£14k taken and a pretty poor initial response from all the companies involved. Data protection act etc. Funny how their attitude changes once the media get involved. Nothing moves them like bad press.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Direct Debit scams

It certainly much easier these days to get any beef you might have into the public domain. One time in a land not far back you'd have to 'sell' your story if not the national then to the local press.

Now with so many having such things as a facebook page (for those that still use it even if they so they don't) where they are quick to respond once you start sharing it with fellow 'customers' - and a bit like here really.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Look at some of the posts here. Ex customers told to keep their DD going so they can get an easy refund but all that happens is they still keep getting charged for a service they left months ago.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not a cat in hells chance of doing that. If my contract ends so does any direct debit and pronto regardless of reason.

Owe me dosh?

Pay it into my bank no, DD route needed. 

If you name is Jacob Rees-Mogg, ask them to send you a cheque direct... or to Coutts bank.  Roll_eyes

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

I recently had a letter from a magazine company complaining that they'd applied for payment from a direct debit and it had been refused.

It was made clear that I had to contact them and explain why and put it right.  Now this magazine subscription had been cancelled over 3 years ago, all payments were up to date and the direct debit deleted.

I've seriously considered accusing them of attempted financial fraud but I expect they'd just apologise and blame the computer. As yet, I've done nothing but should I receive another letter........

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman 

I do not dispute anything in your post but I guess there have been instances where someone has stopped a DD but the company still claims you owe money due to their inability to get payments sorted out correctly, next step is letter from the Baliff's and your records marked which may prevent you from getting finance or a mortgage.

Sure it gets sorted out in time but compensation from stress, time involved etc...forget it......simply put down to a error, computer error being favourite.

The above is just a general observation and in no way relates to any specific company.

Smiley

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a DD setup for a service that I knew I was cancelling but before I notified the provider I stopped the DD (out of paranoia) in case they continued to debit the account.

However, during the call to cancel it turned out they owed me a month’s subscription so I fessed up to cancelling the DD. "That’s not a problem" came the reply, I was told I’ll still get my refund. To be honest I was a bit dubious but gave them the benefit of doubt.

Sure enough though, when the DD date arrived I found a credit for the subscription in my account. So why some companies can do this and others can’t I don’t know, but I do know that you don’t need an active direct debit to get a refund to account.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Maybe I just don't like the idea of somebody dipping into my account taking what the want. 

Time was when we all thought direct debit was wonderful, now I'd much rather have a standing order with my instructions on what to pay rather than their instruction on what to take.

As for baillifs and credit scores @gleneagles  - at my age they would be least of my worries. Smiley 

Highlighted
Pro

No, that's what we don't like, although we do have a couple of DDs which were mostly set u to get a better rate of interest on an account.

Both have worked OK for several years, but then neither are these "Guess how much you used this month" ones from energy and water companies.

Standing order's much safer as you say.

Like you I really couldn't care less about credit scores. Don't even know what mine is!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah now, credit scores would make for a good topic.

Like you I could not care less what mine is neither do I know and as I read recently, they make us believe that the only way to financial security is through a high credit score and if your credit score is low, you may be up poop creek without a paddle.

Hogwash, utter hogwash, and if I need some unknown telling me what mine is in order to secure a loan (as if) then they can roll it up and shove it. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Truth is that some people are a bit lax about financial things due to confidence that 'the bank will have to repay me' even if I was to blame and I wrote my PIN on the card etc., but there are cases where banks are also lax.  When I move suppliers or want to cancel a DD I write to my bank stating the amount, the company and the date of the last DD i want to be paid.  In a couple of cases where I have been in dispute with a company I have preemptively cancelled the appropriate DD and when things are sorted I will either wait for my refund or  send them a cheque ( or a postal order for a laugh, are they still available ? ). 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

Not a cat in hells chance of doing that. If my contract ends so does any direct debit and pronto regardless of reason.

Owe me dosh?

Pay it into my bank no, DD route needed. 

If you name is Jacob Rees-Mogg, ask them to send you a cheque direct... or to Coutts bank.  Roll_eyes

Any other bank would reject the cheque, ' minivanesq not known'.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

Now with so many having such things as a facebook page (for those that still use it even if they so they don't) where they are quick to respond once you start sharing it with fellow 'customers' - and a bit like here really.

Quick? No not really, most companies will just try to ignore you. The moment you start putting all the trending hashtags into your messages and getting a good number of retweets is the moment they decide to take notice.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I have very little trouble with DDs for both fixed and variable amounts, but with my history they are second nature to use.

What I will never give is a continuing payment instruction to a credit card provider, as cancellation has to be instigated by the payee, though it can be got round with difficulty.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Fixes: 394

@Luzern I second that. Continuous payments through credit cards can be very difficult to stop.

I haven't had any major issues with DDs since the eighties and the few recent minor issues have been dealt with swiftly via the DD Guarantee.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still