cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dippy no more :(

Fixes: 125

Dippy no more :(

Dippy the Diplodocus skeleton is to be replaced by that of a blue whale in the entrance to the Natural History Museum in London.
The exchange will not happen overnight: the complex logistics involved mean it will be 2017 before the great cetacean is hanging from the ceiling of the iconic Victorian Hintze Hall.
The museum thinks the change will increase the wow factor for visitors.

Dippy has been in place for almost 35 years but I thought it was longer than that. It definitely had the wow factor - not sure the blue whale will Undecided
Dippy will not disappear. It is likely to feature in a larger exhibit that illustrates how dinosaurs lived in their environment. This could be taken outside to the front of the South Kensington building, Sir Michael said.
There is also the possibility that Dippy could go on tour as well, to bolster the exhibition spaces at regional museums in the UK.

Last time I saw Dippy was around 14 years ago when I took my daughter who was about 6 years old.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dippy no more :(

I know a lot seem to be for this change but all the times I've been there, especially in my youth, for me nothing beat the wow factor of a dinosaur.
Fixes: 47

At least the Blue Whale skeleton will be genuine.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They should call that skeleton "Alan", seeing how The Blue Whale is Alan Davies' favourite answer to everything... Grin
Fixes: 47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtotBT6_lw
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

I'm sure that there was a whale on display in the entrance when I first went there about 65 years ago.
Fixes: 125

From a link in the OP there was a sperm whale on display in the main hall in 1901. Whether that remained there till Dippy turned up I haven't been able to find out.
I'm confused, though, as some sites suggest Dippy has been in the main hall for only 35 years but I am certain it was there when I visited as a child in the late 60's/early 70's Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still