cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital switchover

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Digital switchover

One of the first areas to switch from analogue to digital was Cumbria and in my own region (Granada) we are in the middle of it. Your TV and set top box have to be retuned 3 times on different dates.... simple enough but many owners of Humax PVRs are having major problems due to the switch over, causing the system to freeze and making the unit virtually unusable.
Digital spy & AV forums are full of complaints from people using these PVRs. The Digital Switch help line just advises you to contact Humax and they in turn say they are addressing the problem but until they do you are stuck with an unusable PVR.
This product was excellent until the switchover so it's difficult to know who to blame, I guess you could compare it to those people who purchased Vista and found some hardware or programs would not work on the new system.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone else involved in digital switchover areas if they had any problems.
15 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Digital switchover

That's a shame as have always regarded Humax as box I'd like to own.
With the recent retune ( end of September) it took several attempts to get my Thomson hd recorder to work properly but it's never been the most reliable box and I do refomat and rescan regularly.
I mainly tune to London, which is 2012, but also use Sandy, which is 2011, so do expect problems when they ramp up Sandy power.
johpal
Grafter

Sorry to hear of your problems. My region (Yorkshire) still has a while to wait.
My Humax PVR still hasn't recovered from the "national" retune! ITV3 is shoved up in the 800s (don't watch it much though). I also need a new TV, but, old set willing, am doggedly determined to wait until January 2010, when (hopefully) sets will be available with tuners for Freeview HD (is anybody else infuriated by the knowledge they will have to buy, at best, an upgrade to receive this on their new, shiny, expensive, "HD Ready" equipment?).
The digital switchover (and introduction of HD TV) appears to be a shambles; the equipment manufacturers seem to be laughing all the way to the bank though...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I came across a review the other day, I think I saved a link, I'll have a look and post if I find it, but Humax didn't come out of it too well.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had no trouble with mine, this is from a blog
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/10/05/humax-all-our-boxes-are-fixed-for-freeview/
We spoke to Humax today, asking what customers should do if their Freeview has conked out since the re-tune, but the set top box maker has shrugged off any concerns, saying that it’s fixed the problems with any Humax Freeview boxes customers have called regarding.
“Any customers who have contacted us regarding the retune have successfully retuned to products. The correct procedure is to select Default Setting via the Installation menu (many customers select Automatic Search incorrectly). We have not yet had customers who have not been able to get the channels,” a spokesperson told us over email.
None of Humax’s Freeview boxes are on the list of models that Freeview said in advance would stop working, but we’ve heard complaints of Humax machines losing almost all channels, requiring an engineer to take a look at his aerial.
It’s a bold statement from Humax and great news if true, but we want to hear from you: has your Humax Freeview been affected by the re-tune? Has Humax customer service fixed the problems for you?
Community Veteran

I am not sure what happened at the end of September retune event, it seems to be that most boxes actually handled the retune OK, but at the same time some extra screens were added to try to remind people to retune for those people that had not done so, but for people that had retuned, these extra screens were still seen by those retuned boxes and these were shown in the 800's channel region ... I think people are confused more by this affect than anything else for some reason. Or maybe some boxes had a problem switching from 2k to 8k mode for some odd reason.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I did send an e-mail to Humax on Monday but am still awaiting a reply.
Some people seem to have been told a software upgrade would be available later this month... It's a pity their website gives no indication of this.
I'm Lucky as a old Digifusion PVR I have still works so I will leave things to the end of this month, then upgrade the software via a RS232 cable and then retune the PVR as per the advice given.
johpal
Grafter

@pierre-pierre
Many thanks for posting the quote from Humax. I have just performed a "Default Setting", (I had, mistakenly, done an "Automatic Search" before). ITV3 is back to channel 10 and the 800s have disappeared.
I've had to reset everything else, such as the screen format, SCART output, etc., etc., but things are organised on the EPG.
jmd
Grafter

I can no longer get channel 5 on my Humax - have tried the default setting but that did not help.  However, rarely watch 5 anyway.  Keep thinking that as I have a sattelite dish sitting on my house unused I would get a Freesat Humax PVR but can't afford it at present.  It would mean I could get local news then instead of  hearing about Hull all the time!
Was thinking wouldf ttry selling the present PVR but if they can't be retuned don't think anyone would buy!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

being a bit of a Techno Fart, I had a play round with my old Humax Freeview PVR  (single tuner) I also have a Humax Freesat HD PVR and another Freeview twin tuner.
heres what I found
1 neither the manual or automatic retunes overrwrites the channel, to do a proper manual tune you have to know which frequencies you are reciving, not easy to find out.
2 the best way is
A) go into organise you channels and delete the lot - radio and TV
b) then do an Autoscan - Bingo a correct list

I also had several 800 + channels listed and more than one ITV2 and 3 and 4 listed before this, one of the ITV4 on channel ten brought up Five. Both these problems cured.
My Local transmitter is a bit of a problem as it has two antennas that do repeats on different channels  (Sudbury A & B) 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just found this info program, http://www.ukfree.tv/txlist.php  had to look twice to find both Sudbury A & B but it is all there, before and after change  and future power increases etc, I.e mine goes from 5000 watts to  75000 whoopee
N/A

I was just saying yesterday (the digital reception was playing up again) that we were far better off when we had the old H aerials!  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Josie info for Belmont
Switchover overview: Friday 1st July 2011: Existing Freeview transmitter. Saturday 30th July 2011: BBC One C22 closes. BBC Two C28 closes. ITV-1 C25 closes. Channel 4 C32 closes. FIVE C56 closes. Mux 1 C30 closes. Mux 2 C48 closes. Mux A C68 closes. Mux B C66 closes. Mux C C60 closes. Mux D C57 closes. Freeview power increase from 9,667 W to 116,667 W, 12 times stronger. PSB2 starts on C25. PSB3 starts on C28. PSB1 starts on C22. COM5 starts on C53. COM6 starts on C60. COM4 starts on C30. NEW8 starts on C23. NEW7 starts on C21.

Poppy Emly Moor
Switchover overview: Thursday 1st September 2011: Existing Freeview transmitter. Friday 30th September 2011: BBC One C44 closes. BBC Two C51 closes. ITV-1 C47 closes. Channel 4 C41 closes. FIVE C37 closes. Mux 1 C52 closes. Mux 2 C40 closes. Mux A C43 closes. Mux B C46 closes. Mux C C50 closes. Mux D C49 closes. Freeview power increase from 8,167 W to 174,000 W, 21 times stronger. PSB2 starts on C44. COM4 starts on C51. PSB3 starts on C41. COM5 starts on C52. COM6 starts on C48. PSB1 starts on C47. NEW8 starts on C56. NEW7 starts on C45.
johpal
Grafter

I'm on Emley Moor too (I can see it from my rooftop). With 174 kW after the switchover, perhaps I'll find another use for the metal clothes-hangers in the wardrobe.  Wink
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
being a bit of a Techno Fart, I had a play round with my old Humax Freeview PVR  (single tuner) I also have a Humax Freesat HD PVR and another Freeview twin tuner.
2 the best way is
A) go into organise you channels and delete the lot - radio and TV
b) then do an Autoscan - Bingo a correct list

where do you find autoscan please mr Techno what?
will try that when I know and  if it don't work what I do!