cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital TV issues

MommaCat
Grafter

Digital TV issues

ust a grouse about the whole con of digital TV!  I'm sure there are many of you who live in areas that are covered by small relay transmitters.  When your digital TV is switched on, you will find that you will only get about half of the available programmes.  There are so many of these relay transmitters that the BBC will not replace them with transmitters which are capable of transmitting all of the available programmes.
There are other options, of course, and I have Sky Freesat - not nearly as good as I thought it would be!  I have lost a lot of the channels which were available to me when it was first set up.  My signal quality is not good so I am loathe to try a forced download.  Also, I am in the West Country which I believe does not get such a good signal anyway and because the Sky Engineer could not get a signal due to trees in the garden behind my house, I had to have my dish mounted on a 4ft pole (the house 2 doors down has the same).  I believe either the pole or dish may have moved.  We are in a quite windy area.  There's no point in paying for a Sky Engineer to adjust it - one puff of wind and it will probably go off track again!
There is no cabling in my area and it is unlikely that we would ever get it because it would entail digging up so many pavements/roads.
As to trees blocking digital signals, I think there will probably be a lot of people complaining about trees once we go fully digital!
Anyone else got any issues with digital TV?
39 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Digital TV issues

have you tried freesat as against sky free?, you can get the channels on the sky box, but not the 14 day EPG, look here for more info  http://www.astra2d.com/index.htm
MommaCat
Grafter

Certainly their list of available channels looks good, Pierre Pierre, and I think sometimes you are able to use the Sky dish without having to purchase a new one if you switch.  However it still leaves me with the problem of losing channels or getting the message "no satellite signal being received" the minute the wind blows!
I went out into the garden one windy day and looked up to see the whole pole and dish moving in the wind, whereas there was no movement on those dishes which were fixed to the house underneath the guttering!
I have already had words with the neighbours at the rear of me and it was only when I sent my housing officer after them that they have just had the tops of them lopped off.  They have a greengage tree, a Leylandii, a Lilac tree and a thumping great maple tree (that my housing officer said he would have expected to see in a wood, not a private garden) all in a row right down beside the fence.  We are on a hillside so the trees don't affect them but, of course, they tower above me.  Grrrrrr!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Might sound simple but get a better fixed pole - usually involves a product called PostFix which you can get from any builders merchant
http://www.smithfencing.co.uk/product/?TRUPAK
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You say your sat dish is mounted on a 4ft pole.... Old jim is assuming it is "stuck in the garden" from what he is suggesting.....??
Is it a 4ft pole on a chimney stack? or attached to the house with brackets?
Perhaps a better location on the house (another less windy corner/wall) or stay wires on the chimney installation will steady the pole.... the brackets may also need to be re-tightened, if the dish is losing it`s angles through being blown by the wind.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: shutter
You say your sat dish is mounted on a 4ft pole.... Old jim is assuming it is "stuck in the garden" from what he is suggesting.....??

You're right I did as a 4 foot pole attached to the house shouldn't move at all - providing he did the job properly  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Agree !  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would agree if it is a mesh one, but if solid it can indeed move, me being a greedy person have a larger solid dish and it did move on its bracket in the last high wind, and the clamps were tight.
I now have it guyed back to the wall.  I know not many can do it, but I have a cheap tuning metre that came with a "Camping" 12 volt set and can easily reach my dish on a short ladder, so can set it back myself
Somewhere on that Astra 2d sight it tells you in simple language how to tune the sky box for any of those free channels.  But a few Murdock charges you for on Sky i.e. I think Men and Motors or Dave
Community Veteran

I would get a good independant to realign your dish, as it certainly shouldn't move even if its a solid dish.  We frequently get high winds here, and never had an issue with a 90cm solid dish.
As for freesat, its more or less  the same free channels as whats available on the sky platform, just a different EPG system and receivers and some channels arent available on freesat like FiveUSA IIRC.
Community Veteran

Can you tell us approximately where you are in uk, the size of your dish, path to satellite - is is totally clear - or have nearby trees etc etc
mounted atop of a 4 foot pole does not sound a good idea, unless that pole is very thick and mounted rigidly.
But best advise is to find a good independant antenna installer from here:
http://www.cai.org.uk/members/members-databases/AdvSearch
Community Veteran

Hey ! Mal!.... have a look at the original posting.... regarding "location" and " trees"...  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Thanks Shutter - yes indeed. I must have needed to clean my glasses.
So yes - you can't get lot further west - so a longish path but also as far south as it gets - so not as bad as Scotland.
And yes Cornwall can be windy - I know Altantic gales  from personal experince.
And plenty of CAI Plus registered installers - so that would be my recommendation - get it re-installed. And on a very, very rigid mounting as close to the wall as possible.
MommaCat
Grafter

Thanks folks.  In view of what you have said, I think I shall give Sky a ring.  However, as it appears it is the fault of the technician who erected it (and I have read somewhere that if you use a pole it should be anchored with wires) they needn't think I am paying for a technician. 
The dish I have is one of the smaller ones and the pole is fitted with a bracket to the side of the house.  One problem is, owing to the place where he sited it, wires could not be fitted otherwise one would have to go onto the wall of the house next door (we are semi-detached).  I also dread one of these people coming again - the last one took the short easy route to the house and walked up a muddy bank and trampled the mud right through the house on my carpets.  I'm not noted for yelling at workmen, but I did that one!
Community Veteran

OK - well I understand you noted wanting to pay for it - but good luck.
This is one reason why many people recommend using independent dealers / installers - people who are agents for Sky - but not owned by them.
The good one's I've highlighted belonging to CAI - build their reputation on doing a good job, and doing better than the Sky guys.
It might still be worth asking such an independent company for a quote to re-instal the system. If you can, it might be better just to swallow your pride and pay for a good job, and don't pay until you get satisfaction.
Good luck - let us know how it works out if you can.
Mal
MommaCat
Grafter

Thanks for mentioning the CAI.  I have taken a look at their website and found a registered installer in the area.  I shall not do anything until after the switch over (March 2010) and all the fuss has died down, but I will contact these people then and see what they say.