cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital TV changeover

geoffp0
Grafter

Digital TV changeover

Can anyone confirm if I have to retune my "Freeview" receivers on the actual two dates that are being thrown around in the papers, I think one is July 6th and the other is July 20th or can I retune them before those dates Undecided
36 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Digital TV changeover

You'll need to rescan on both dates. That was certainly the case when Sandy Heath switched over.
You can't retune in advance.
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/anglia/sudbury
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and on one of the official forms it says another retune for Sudbury in I think November, went to a show and tell, they couldnt expplain that one
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

If the change is being made the same way as in Lancashire the first stage is to switch off analogue BBC2 and some digital BBC services change MUX position. A retune is necessary after the service comes back on line to pick up all digital channels.
On the second date remaining analogue channels are switched off and digital services move around again. So a second retune is needed after the service returns.
We had to retune on a further occasion which I think was associated with moves to provide stronger signals on some channels.
Don't forget to reset any programme recording settings after retunes. Tongue
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another point is that if you used a signal booster before the upgrade, you might have to remove it, the Subury power is going up ten times
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the power change is more than I said
Wednesday 6th July 2011
BBC TWO C44 closes. BBCA starts on C44.
Wednesday 20th July 2011
BBC One C51 closes. ITV-1 C41 closes. Channel 4 C47 closes. FIVE C35 closes. Mux 1 C49 closes. Mux 2 C68 closes. Mux A C48 closes. Mux B C39 closes. Mux C C54 closes. Mux D C50 closes.
Freeview power increases from 5,033W (average) to 100,000W, 19 times stronger.
SDN starts on C58. ArqA starts on C60. ArqB starts on C56. D3+4 starts on C41. BBCB(HD) starts on C47.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nadger
Rising Star

One assumes that you come under the Sudbury transmitter.
I'm still receiving from London as aerial points that way and we're just over 400 feet above sea level. I'm told by a friend, using Sandy Heath, that not everything is being transmitted at full power. Seems this won't happen until all other transmitters in the area have switched. This is to avoid conflicts.
Had an amusing letter from Sky offering me a switch over deal as I came under Central  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm also on the Crystal Palace transmitter.  We don't get switched over until next year.  Out of interest I re-tuned my TV last night and got a few extra channels.  Unfortunately they are mostly advertising channels.
Although we are not on full power I get all the digital TV channels so that looks encouraging for when we go on full power.
Javert
Grafter

The transmitter for my region is Tacolneston (Norfolk) and our re-tune dates are 9th and 23rd November.  A couple of months ago a message appeared on-screen that it's 7th & 21st September!  After the message had re-appeared for the umpteenth time, I emailed “digitaluk” explaining this and they replied that, if the on-screen message states retune in September then that is definitely when it should be done.  They added that “this suggests that your signal from Central TV.”
So I phoned the aerial company who installed my aerial two years ago - and happened to speak to the engineer who did the work.  After he stopped laughing he said he had not heard of anyone else locally receiving this message - but assured me that Tacolneston is our transmitter and it’s a November retune!
John a.k.a confused.com
Fixes: 47

Have a look on this map http://www.ukfree.tv/txlist.php
Zoom into your area and see what the coverage is like from nearby transmitters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Javert
Grafter

Thanks for info - a useful site which confirms that we are on Tacolneston (which I know!)  - and the retune dates are November.  So the digitaluk site wasn't very helpful!
geoffp0
Grafter

Many thanks for all of the replies and links, they are a great help Smiley Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

It's a subject that always gets good helpful responses  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=pierre_pierre]if you used a signal booster before the upgrade, you might have to remove it, the Subury power is going up
[quote=pierre_pierre]Freeview power increases from 5,033W (average) to 100,000W, 19 times stronger
Yikes - I might have a problem with that !  Shocked
I am currently in a location which according to the postcode based Freeview coverage checkers says that (pre-changeover) that I probably can't receive Freeview (from Subury), and sure enough with normal aerials I can't.
To overcome that I stuck a "ultra high gain wideband aerial" (19dB gain), with a DC powered aerial mounted (12dB gain) amplifier on top of an aluminium scaffolding pole that reaches sixteen feet above the rooftop.
The down cable from the aerial then goes into a mains powered amplified distribution box which adds another 8dB gain to each of it's six outputs, before feeding the various set-top boxes around the house.
With all that amplification I have had a couple of years of being able to receive all advertised channels, with the signal strength indicators on the Freeview boxes normally at 100% but may dip to about 70% during bad atmospherics.
So it looks like I might have to get some UHF attenuators fitted, and switch off the mast head amplifier, before the huge power increase on the 20th of July, so I don't end up blowing up the Freeview receivers input circuitry !