cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Switchover

nadger
Rising Star

Digital Switchover

Got letter this morning about help I can have for switch over next March on Anglia Region Sandy Heath transmitter.
Thought I'd take this opportunity to have Freesat, for £16, so phoned up.
Regrettably the earliest they could do the installation was next Monday 11th October  Smiley
My thinking is that I can now record 2 Freeview programmes, and watch Freesat, on those occasions  that there are 3 good things on at same time.
51 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Digital Switchover

I mostly watch Freesat these days even though the TV has Freeview built in.
I can easily imagine many people sticking with Freesat when Freeview is finally switched on in their area leaving Freeview as a service too late.

Quote from: nadger
3 good things on at same time.

A few and far between kind of situation thinks I Wink Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I'm the opposite, I use freeview all the time, I have a dish but it isn't connected to anything  Cheesy
The few occasions I have watched Freesat hasn't made me want to switch over.  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 47

I suppose it depends on what you watch.
There is stuff on Freesat that is not on Freeview and vice versa so if you have both you can pick and chose, if not........ Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I suppose that having had a PVR on Freeview for all these years makes me less likely to switch to Freesat, the extra Movie channels on it are nice but the show ANCIENT movies (and like S*y they repeat them all the time  Angry) and not having the money to buy a sat PVR I will be staying put. I used the Sat on the caravan (as the Freeview reception was crap on my usual site) and only have a simple receiver in there, HD would be nice but the limited number of channels/programs makes this a pipe dream (and I don't even smoke  Wink)
jim:red avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
nadger
Rising Star

Has anyone had any experience of scart switchers and any recommendations?
Seem to be quite a few on eBay for under a tenner.
My thoughts are, obviously, that I'll need a way of switching between my Thomson Freeview recorder and Freesat box.
Community Veteran

@nadger what special offers were they giving you?
nadger
Rising Star

Option 1 - Freeview digital box - Free
Option 2 - Freesat digital box & satellite dish - £16
Option 3 - Freeview HD digital box - £116
                  Freeview+ digital recorder - £158
                  Smart Talk Freeview digital box £77 - developed in conjunction with RNIB
Option 4 - Freesat HD box - £66
                  Freesat+ HD recorder - £209
Option 5 is various TVs

Community Veteran

Got letter this morning about help I can have for switch over next March on Anglia Region Sandy Heath transmitter.

That's interesting. My in-laws (Peterborough) are on that transmitter for Freeview (all set up by me) and it's currently RUBBISH.
I know they've got some sort of letter which is awaiting me when we visit this weekend, presumably it's like yours.
They're in their 90's and have to mess about switching between Analogue and Digital - fortunately not too bad as their TV has it all built in, no separate digibox.
I've been thinking about Freesat myself for our home (different region, 2 years to go) as our PVR needs replacing, so maybe I'll get it for them if it's only £16.
nadger
Rising Star

I don't know that everyone can get the options I was offered as a lot depends on circumstances.
We've got really good Freeview from London, albeit Sandy is our designated transmitter and most aerials seem to point that way.
Helps being on top of a 400ft hill.
Community Veteran

@nadger, thanks for the info in post#7.
Community Veteran

I don't know that everyone can get the options I was offered as a lot depends on circumstances.

Indeed, there's a few clues on the Help Scheme web site: http://www.helpscheme.co.uk/
My in-laws definitely qualify for help (several times over), just not sure if the £40 contribution will be waived, but the letter they have will presumably clarify.
nadger
Rising Star

The letter they've received will make everything clear - mine clearly said " You can get free help from the BBC to switch your TV to digital "
Community Veteran

It's all clear, and they do have to pay the £40.  Wink
They BOTH got a letter, and at first I thought we could get Freesat installed for the TV in the lounge and then a digibox and new roof aerial for the little TV upstairs.
Sadly, it's only 1 TV per household. Maybe I could argue that they lead separate lives........
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
That's interesting. My in-laws (Peterborough) are on that transmitter for Freeview (all set up by me) and it's currently RUBBISH.

I believe I read once that at some point after analogue transmission ceases, the power of digital transmitters will be increased, as there are currently an awful lot of blackspots where no or a very minimal DVB-T signal can be obtained.