cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digiboxes

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Digiboxes

well if they do i have a spare set of those wireless phone plugs, that you can put in rather than phonelines.
i can use them but nothing so far and its been nearly 7 months
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: James_H
Yep, I didn't plug my multiroom box into a phone line, and ended up with a letter from them telling me that it was a breach of our contract to not have an active phoneline connected.
The net result was not that they wanted to terminate the contract, rather they wanted to withdraw the discount on the second box, and charge the same for it as if it was a single box on its own contract.

Yep, similar story to my parents James.
They had just the one box for a good few years, and as part of the T&C's of the original contract had it connected to the phone line for 12 months. After that you no longer need it connected, so my dad disconnected it after that. Which is fine.
They ordered 2 additional multi-room boxes. Sky screwed up the order and only assigned one of the boxes to the first installer, so it needed 2 installer visits, one visit per box on separate days. Both installers fitted the additional boxes and wired them into the phone line, and got them working .. fine.
It was only that I was checking the T&C's myself and I realised that under multi-room, all boxes have to be connected .. not just the additional ones, so this now required the original box to be connected which previously didn't have to be.
Neither installer checked the original box, whether it was plugged into the phone line, nor informed us of this. You could argue it's my parents responsibility to check the T&C's which of course it is .. but my argument is the installers are responsible for ensuring the multiroom boxes are installed correctly (after all it's their job) and by failing to ensure the original box was installed in line with Sky T&C's they had not done their job properly.
I think it's reasonable to assume in this case, without reading the T&C's (as my dad did) that only the additional boxes need to be connected, as they were.
I told my dad what to do, and him (being a bit stubborn) refused to connect the original box, on the grounds that he had it connected previously and why should they just change the rules like this, etc.
Anyway the nasty letter came, followed by the increased charges.
The first of the inflated bills came out by DD despite my parents protests, they got fed up, cancelled the DD and just paid them what was actually owed. They eventually connected the box, and wrote them a nasty letter. Sky replied and agreed to refund the additional charges they had robbed my parents with.
However they screwed up (again) and never did that despite it being promised in writing. So it took another 3-4 months of the account balance being wrong (inflated), my parents service being cut off, threats of debt recovery companies and they had to chase numerous times of where this promised refund went.
Eventually it came, but not until after all the above grief.
So I hope that kind of explains my (very low) opinion of Sky. Just annoys me when I go round my parents when I see how much they're paying (when the bill is right) just for the basic channels, how much adverts and crap they pump out and the way Sky treats paying customers with utter contempt, just cos they can.
Highlighted
Rising Star

Thanks guys - you've definitely convinced me to stay with aerial and forget about Sky deal.

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: pcoventry76
Having said all that my mulltiroom box hasent been plugged into the phoneline since day one and its working ok.

You checked your bill?
We unplugged our multiroom box to move it into another room.  Two months later they started charging us the full £52/month subscription for the second box.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The way I understand things is that once the analogue transmitter is switched off - the signal strength of the digi-channels will be increased thus reducing the requirements for new aerials and improving picture quality.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Go to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/en.html and put in your postcode and house number and tick the I am in the aerial installation trade box.
That shows you exactly when things are planned to happen and how much better the digital signal will be after the analogue is switched off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi Liam,
Yes i have we have tv broadband although not active, and a multiroom sub and it costs us £36 a month
it's the £26 deal with £10 MR sub on top
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
Go to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/en.html and put in your postcode and house number and tick the I am in the aerial installation trade box.
That shows you exactly when things are planned to happen and how much better the digital signal will be after the analogue is switched off.

Hmmmm... very interesting.
We currently have good reception on all channels  - the checker give 38 good plus 17 variable. In 2012 this changes to 22 good and 33 variable. I can't wait  Huh
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Quote from: billbo
We currently have good reception on all channels  - the checker give 38 good plus 17 variable. In 2012 this changes to 22 good and 33 variable. I can't wait  Huh

So that will be a about 30 shopping channels instead of the half dozen we get now.
I think I get just about all those freeview channels (with the help of a giant aerial on top of a big pole). Quite honestly, it isn't much of an improvement over analogue (apart from Film 4). There used to be the History channel - but that shuts down at teatime now and moves over to some pay scheme.
There is no way I'm going to pay £hundreds per year just to watch the television.
But if you want to know what you might be missing, have a look at http://www.itv.com/TVGuide/default.html, which despite it's name does cover all the various programmes (Analogue, freeview, Sky etc)...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."