Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digiboxes

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Digiboxes

Where a phone line is not present, or where you do not wish to connect the equipment to a phone line you will be subject to a further charge of £25 for installation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi All
Thanks for everyone's interesting input.
To summarise so far:
1 .  Give to old folk who can't afford a digibox.
My comment: You can buy a digibox now for £14!!!!!
2. Put Linux on it.
  My comment:  Explanation please. Not understood.
and those appear to be the total suggestions.
anyone else????
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do you have anything like this http://www.dorsetreclaim.org.uk/ near you?
Companies like this will be glad to take the items off your hands and pass them on to deserving clients. They often supply to people who suffer flood or fire damage and loose everything.
Regards, P.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: nadger
I noticed this offer following an earlier link.
Any Sky users care to comment as it does seem a good deal.

Hmm, that's been going a while, though last time I looked it was £150. I seem to remember that Sky Freesat doesn't contain all the channels that Freeview necessarily does. I remember E4 being one, and it's not down on their list.
You used to be able to just order a card, say if you moved into a premises which had a box and dish installed. Even if the previous owner had taken a box, and left the dish/cable you could just get an old one from somewhere and order a card for about £20. I am pretty sure Sky have either discontinued it, or if they haven't done what they're best at and pushed the price up a lot since then.
Also it's another £25 if you don't want your Digibox talking back to Sky giving it information on what channels you view and how often, so they get free audience figures. Nice for them as they don't have to pay for it, and know how much to charge advertisers.
I don't see why you have to have a phone line connected if you don't want to order pay-per-view films, sport, games or any of the other crap they try to make even more money on.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Where a phone line is not present, or where you do not wish to connect the equipment to a phone line you will be subject to a further charge of £25 for installation.

Ah they say that but when you get it installed they insist on there being a phonline, i had to go buy a very long extension lead to get to my neighbours line to activate out multiroom - and our skyplus wouldn't be installed unless we had a phoneline
when i mentioned this the woman denied it.
Also remember to a person on a state pension £14 is alot - for alot of people that's food for 2 weeks ( my nan is one of them)
Highlighted
Grafter

Also remember to a person on a state pension £14 is alot - for alot of people that's food for 2 weeks ( my nan is one of them)

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound discourteous.
You see, I am also on State Pension and know what expenses need to be carefully thought through Angry I know that £14 is no small amount for a pensioner,  but that's why we have generous grandsons  Smiley
regards
Highlighted
Grafter

no, you weren't don't worry Smiley
I wish i could be generous, maybe oneday but for now i'm acting poor  Cheesy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: pcoventry76
Ah they say that but when you get it installed they insist on there being a phonline, i had to go buy a very long extension lead to get to my neighbours line to activate out multiroom - and our skyplus wouldn't be installed unless we had a phoneline

I can well imagine, their free audience viewing figures must be quite important to them, as actually paying for market research is quite costly I seem to remember.
And I won't go into my parents' multiroom saga Roll_eyes
I think I did on the old PlusNet forums, and it's a long story Grin
I don't have Sky, but often go round my parents who do, and get reminded of how much they're being extorted to watch a load of repeats and adverts. So we're left with ITV (spit, real shame cos they used to be good) and the BBC, occasionally there is stuff I'll watch on Channel 4 but not often.
Hence I don't watch much TV these days (am sounding old already).
Highlighted
Rising Star

Turning into a branch of Saga with all we OAPs.
Just posted a recommendation for PlusNet on their forum  Wink
All I was exploring was whether it would be better to take the £75 deal and get Freeview that way.
I assume that one could just unplug phone connection after everything was set-up.
Highlighted
Grafter

hi john,
Sky go nuts if you remove the line its part of the contract. The boxes ring in every 6 weeks. If you order any movies that is meant to be sent down the line but it does record it at their end prior to the box downloading it
Having said all that my mulltiroom box hasent been plugged into the phoneline since day one and its working ok.
Darn my fingers are tired.even full keypad mobiles take forever to use heh
Pete
Highlighted
Rising Star

I had no intention of availing myself of any Sky services, apart from Freeview, Pete.
It seems that one would get some freebies for first six months and then one gets a choice at which point they go.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
All I was exploring was whether it would be better to take the £75 deal and get Freeview that way.

I don't think it's a bad deal, problem I have is that it's with Sky Cheesy
Seriously though, it's either £75 or £100 if you don't want it plugged into the phone telling Sky what you view. I know what I'd prefer, so I'd probably go for the latter.
Only thing to watch out for is I know some of the Freeview channels are not on Freesat. For some unknown reason some of the channels like E4 are of course carried by Sky as a subscription channel, but not available on Freesat .. even though they are on Freeview. Don't know if there are any others, but just double check all the channels you're interested in are included .. don't just assume everything on Freeview is on Freesat.
Sky go nuts if you remove the line its part of the contract. The boxes ring in every 6 weeks. If you order any movies that is meant to be sent down the line but it does record it at their end prior to the box downloading it

Yeah they go Nuts cos they're not getting their free viewing figures.
My point is, I can understand it ringing in if you order any of their overpriced movies, games or whatever else it is they try to flog now. But I don't when you don't order any of that.
Of course the box will work without the phone line being plugged it, as I said it's only necessary if you don't use the above so they get their free stats. Even if you do it will store it. So whatever you use they will want their free stats and information on what you order, hence the phone being plugged in as part of the contract. Information on what you order is fair enough, it's the free stats part I don't like.
Having said all that my mulltiroom box hasent been plugged into the phoneline since day one and its working ok.

Just wait, a matter of time before you'll get the patronising letters through the door followed by the really big bill.
I would use the word 'robbery' but since it applies to Sky in general, is a bit of an ambiguous term Cheesy
Highlighted
Rising Star

In one way there's no panic as we currently use Bedmond (London) for most Freeview digital channels - do use Sandy to get Look East for local news.
One thing that does bother me with Sky deal is box replacement.
Originally bought one of the On Digital Nokia boxes that were sold off (by Currys) when ITV Digital went bust. When that box died was able to nip down to Tesco and buy DigiLogic box for less than £30.
Next step possibly twin tuner, with hard drive, when they next come up in Aldi  Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sky boxes are not too bad, there are so many of them around .. people move and upgrade to Sky+ etc so I am sure you'll find a cheap one on EBay (and the like) if you needed a replacement.
The problem is that Sky tie the viewing card to the physical box, so you can't swap them around .. even on the same contract. You need a viewing card for Freesat because some of the channels provided by it are not available if you didn't have a card at all.
So it's a call to CS and getting them to allow you to change the card/box combination. They wouldn't do this when we ordered multiroom and already had a box, so I've no idea what their policy is.
Highlighted
Grafter

In respect of freeview; Someone mentioned going for a twin tuner with hard drive - I can recommend Humax.  I have had this for 2 years and the price is lower now than when I bought it.  I have a hearing problem and so it records subtitles, it is very easy to set up and operate.  It can record 2 programs whilst you watch a third which is useful for those evenings when each channel has something you want to watch at the same time [and then the next 2 evenings there is nothing you want to watch], you can pause and restart a programme[at where you left off] if you need to go somewhere or phone rings etc.
Also,it automatically updates when more channels are available or the programming is modified/updated.
It is good - like force9/sorry Plusnet.