cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digiboxes

community
Grafter

Digiboxes

I believe that members who contribute to this particular Section are usually bright  Smiley and may be able to offer some interesting comments on this.
I and many others are now the owners of Digiboxes which are surplus to requirements since they acquired a new fully integrated Telly?
There is virtually no re-sale value to these, so maybe we can use them for some other satisfying and interesting purpose.
There are lots of other sockets and buttons on these items which we never used when they were merely purveyors of Freeview channels, but what use are they nowHuh Embarrassed
Anyone any great ideas?
cheers
38 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Digiboxes

Just a thought.
Perhaps they would be of use to someone who has not bought a new television lately.
there will be some older folk who will not be able to afford one.
Perhaps any digibox which is 'surplus' could be offered to someone in need? There will be someone somewhere who would be grateful.
pcoventry76
Grafter

I think all spare digiboxes should be put into a ventral place and given like you say to old people who will not be able to cope with the digital switchover.
My friend at CFM tells me alot of the old fok are now without BBC2 in whitehaven, and old people tend to love BBC 2
Anyone got any spare? if so PM me ill pic them up and next time im passing cumbria ( which will be soon) ill pile my van up and drop them off at the station
i have 3 just looking around.
Cheers
Pete
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Contact Help the Aged?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pcoventry76
Grafter

yes could do... however me mates at cfm will get a local company to upgrade the ariels free aswell, a bill im sure help the aged would rather not be with
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: pcoventry76
My friend at CFM tells me alot of the old fok are now without BBC2 in whitehaven, and old people tend to love BBC 2

If they can't get BBC2 today, from November 14th they will have no television whatsoever!
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/en/when/border/whitehaven-copeland.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

My parents had to fork out ~£250 to get a reasonable signal for their two digiboxes.
I don't see everyone being able to do the same.  This is what you get for forking out £130 a year for a TV License (and channels that are having funding cut and showing more repeats).
pcoventry76
Grafter

Why can't the BBC pay for this? afterall we pay them to get bbc 1 but then can't watch it.
I say the digital switchover is a good thing, for me, as i never watch much TV anyway - if i can't get them i shouldn't have to pay
nadger
Rising Star

As one of the aged  Wink we will be getting some help when the switchover occurs.
By then I won't be paying for a TV licence and, were I to want it, would be entitled to some free assistance.
As has been pointed out elsewhere it's the aerial that can be the main, and most expensive, problem as digi-boxes can cost as little as £20.
We are fortunate in that a 20 year old aerial gives us good reception from two different areas ( London & Sandy) - living on top of a hill has advantages  Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

true, but would be nice to help atleast some people out who maybe cannot afford one.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Try this for some information on freeview etc.
http://www.ukfree.tv/starthere.php
pcoventry76
Grafter

nice site - thanks Smiley
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Try this as well for a check on suitability of an existing aerial for use with freeview.
http://dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2452
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The other problem with digital compared to analogue I find is that a slighty dodgy signal can still be watchable on analogue, but digital is pretty much either on or off.
For some reason I can get most of the freeview digital channels on my integrated TV, bar a couple such as Channel 5 and Sky Three. Typical it would be some of the channels which might show something interesting as opposed to the shopping/rip-off quiz channels, which I have no interest in.
I reckon the BBC should get ads now anyway, as with the cuts it looks set to get as bad as ITV is now. I am just waiting for the time when they'll nick Ant and Dec and they end up presenting every [Censored] prime time show on Saturday night.
nadger
Rising Star

I noticed this offer following an earlier link.
Any Sky users care to comment as it does seem a good deal.