cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differing speed test results.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Differing speed test results.

Not really an "issue" more for chit chat discussion.... hence posting here instead of broadband speed.....
Playing around with "alternative speed testers" brings on some interesting variations from the "official" BT speed tester... notably in the "upload" speed registred....
Most of "the others" that I have tried, show a "proportionate" increase/decrease on the "upload" figures depending on the download figure produced.... Yet.... BT, the "official" and the ONLY one that PN will accept as "accurate" ALWAYS shows the upload speed as 448 on my tests.....Regardless of the Upload figure...
I have also noted that the BT speed tester ALWAYS shows a slower (sometimes by as much as 150k) speed than "the others".....
so who is telling porky pies?  Cheesy
3 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Differing speed test results.

The one thing you can be certain of is that they are all inaccurate to an extent.
Not helpful I know, but you chose the board to place it in. Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As it is not "an issue".,I will accept your "not helpful" response, in the manner to which it was posted.... and don`t stick your tonge out at me  Tongue you might make me cry  Cry Cry Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've also noticed that using different browsers on the same speedtester produces different results as well....  for example, using IE8 and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk produced a nice smooth download (instantaneous speeds not varying more than about 100kbps) which gave an overall result of 6330kbps (at 3pm today), but using Google Chrome two minutes later, the download is extremely "lumpy", with instantaneous speeds varying from 2000 to 5500kbps and an overall speed on 4360kbps. So it appears that different browsers affect the test too.