Pro
Fixes: 2

Diesel scrappage scheme announcement TODAY

46 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Diesel scrappage scheme announcement TODAY

"Under the proposed scheme drivers of old ‘dirty’ diesel cars would be offered £2,000 compensation to ditch their vehicle" 

So you can buy a used diesel for say £1000 and be paid £2000 to scrap it?

Count me in Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Oh no... poor old Geoffrey Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

National grid in desperate need of upgrades to support electric cars, but, this "scrappage scheme could be capped at £500million", so, instead of putting that money into upgrading the grid to support electric boogaloos, they'd rather piddle it away on a scheme to send cars abroad on heavy oil-burning ships to be cut up, melted down and turned into bean cans, producing far more pollution than the cars themselves would have ever caused in their lifetimes...

What planet do these political parasites live on exactly?? Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero

Well maybe there's a 'pollution imbalance' in getting rid of the material and removing it's causes, but if it serves to make us all aware of the problems we face then that surely has to be a good thing yes?

It does seem to me that whatever methods we use to cut back on the filth we are all responsible for, somebody somewhere will object to it.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

It does seem to me that whatever methods we use to cut back on the filth we are all responsible for, somebody somewhere will object to it.  

Are we talking about diesel scrappage or web monitoring? Shocked

Minivanman
Hero

Diesel scrappage as per topic heading.

As for monitoring filth on the web, one mans filth is another mans pleasure..... although admittedly not always legal. 

Community Veteran

You took me seriously! Cool

Minivanman
Hero

Cool smiley

Community Veteran

As far as I can see the paper that's been released today is just a consultation document, not regulation to be brought in. 

"In its technical documents supporting the plan, modellers estimate that such a scheme could take 15,000 diesel and older petrol cars off the road.

"Under this scheme, 15,000 Euro 1-5 diesel cars/Euro 1-3 petrol cars are replaced with electric cars. The grant level that has been assumed for this option is £8,000," the documentation states.

The suggestion is that a scheme could be brought in within two years".

So that just leaves around 30 million diesel trucks, vans and buses on the roads. Destined to be a great success! Crazy

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

UK clean air strategy: Government to publish draft proposals by 9th May, giving more power to Local Councils to control Air Pollution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39804503

Community Veteran

I've seen reports that all motor vehicles are to be banned. Now we have superfast digital throughout the country most travel is no longer necessary. Apparently where travel is unavoidable, we are to use horses instead to solve the pollution problem. Grants will be provided to convert garages into stables.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Yebbut what you going to do with all the horse [-Censored-]?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

There just ain't enough roobarb about to cope with it! Grin

Community Veteran

Volkswagen have promised to breed a low emission horse. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.