Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel engines

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Diesel engines

i know we have had similar post about this before But just had to do this

The Labour leader suggested there needed to be a policy on the "phasing-out of diesel" but it would have to be done in a way that ensured "you don't punish people".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39678321

Does he not realize that Diesel engines are not  Just in Cars >>>?

so are we going to see Petrol engines in HGV , Tractors , Emergency Generators in hospitals , ETC

or am i just being too obvious

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
19 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Diesel engines

No, you are not 'just being too obvious' , but - without reading the whole of the article - it appears that Mr. Corbyn is once more talking from somewhere other than his mouth.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Corbyn's self image is on a bike with a crash hat and shell suit so we know where he is coming from. But he's just useless on most subjects

https://capx.co/where-does-corbyn-leave-centre-left-voters/

On the subject of diesel engines and other prime movers politicians are not to be trusted with making policy as they normally shoot from the hip, chasing headlines.

Diesels have always had problems with nox, sox and particulates. The plant required to deal with nox can be fitted on stationary plant and large vehicles can be fitted with urea or ammonia injection. Sulphur can be dealt with by using low sulphur diesel. Particulates need large filtration plant on the exhaust.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Fixed formatting.

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The latest diesels have been proved to be as clean as petrol. He needs some informed engineering knowledge from somewhere and someone needs to inform him that your average petrol engine emissions exceeds those of modern diesels after a relatively short time (three years average mileage) because of cylinder bore wear. Petrol isn't the most kindly of fuels to a cylinder.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Was that before or after the cheat device was found? Roll eyes

I was told years ago that the government had a planned run against the motorist / fuel prices waiting for the nation. Then it became political with the threat of votes being lost and they had to start holding back on tax rises. Now diesel is the bad guy and they want everyone onto petrol... and with a super increased demand for supply, prices will rise.. and none of it will be the governments fault.

See the bigger picture here people..

Oddly they seem to have completely overlooked the very problem or recharging an entire nation of electric vehicles.. Oh hang on.. we're getting a new nuclear power station paid for by the chinese... and Toshiba were going to be building another.. but now they're looking like they'll go bust.. so i guess that won't happen now!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Forget the power stations, the National Grid couldn't take the load if everyone switches to electric plug-in cars.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

nozzer wrote:

The latest diesels have been proved to be as clean as petrol.

Infinity wrote:

I drove behind a brand new Diesel Mini the other day...........

It stank.......

I could smell it as I approached from quite a distance behind...

No other cars around.

So much for more modern efficient engines !!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

Forget the power stations, the National Grid couldn't take the load if everyone switches to electric plug-in cars.

And when the government realise they don't have enough power generation for the electric cars, they'll only stumble upon what you've said after solving the generating problem lol.

In reality I can see local power stations / storage / generation taking off because the grid is going to be super expensive to upgrade. Why bother when you can just start chucking local plants into neighbourhoods take the strain off the grid... but even then the cables in the road won't be adequate either.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"Illegal levels of Nitrogen Dioxide" it says, now, if the engines were adjusted so less air was being fed into the combustion cycle, there'd be less NO2, but nooooooo, "We must ban these engines rather than be intelligent and improve them!", ignorance and scapegoatism, but then, that's politics for you, Poly is Many, and Ticks are parasites...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

There's an old farmer guy round here that runs his Mark II Land Rover on vegetable oil, it looks nor sounds any different to one running heavy oil, but the smell well that's another storey. When he goes past it's like passing a Fish 'n' Chip shop and if you're on the same side of the road as he is you can actually taste it when he passes!

ffox
Rising Star

nozzer wrote:

The latest diesels have been proved to be as clean as petrol...........average petrol engine emissions exceeds those of modern diesels after a relatively short time (three years average mileage) because of cylinder bore wear.

Links and dates please.

Community Veteran

Cars always seem to be blamed for pollution in cities.

A few years back I watched the high speed channel island car ferry pulling away in Weymouth. It was very impressive when it opened up producing a mountainside of foam in it's wake. Then the not small ship disappeared in its own exhaust fumes. I remember thinking at the time that ship must probably be putting out more pollution than all the vehicles in the town.

Then on the odd occasion, flying high in a glider, what's that stink in the air? That would be the passenger jet that flew by miles up half hour earlier. No doubt with many passengers basking in the belief that they are doing their "green" bit by cycling to work or driving hybrid vehicles.

Maybe one day a government will do something about those but until then the easy target of cars pays better.

Community Veteran

The transporting of shipping containers around the globe rather than local manufacture increases the pollution load.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

The transporting of shipping containers

This ones a crackerjack.

Rubbish containers

"It is not crazy," insists Gernot Alfons on shipping containers full of rubbish 620 miles by rail.

All together now, Oh yes it is.

Would I be wrong in thinking there's bound to be some EU dictate / grant / regulation / back hander behind this.

Community Veteran

ffox wrote:

nozzer wrote:

The latest diesels have been proved to be as clean as petrol...........average petrol engine emissions exceeds those of modern diesels after a relatively short time (three years average mileage) because of cylinder bore wear.

Links and dates please.

OK. Let me slightly rephrase that...   there are a lot of Euro6 spec diesels appearing now which comply fully with the Euro6 specification. This is within a gnats of the spec for petrol and orders of magnitude cleaner than they were even five years ago. Strangely enough, many of them are in the VW range.

Have a look at http://equaindex.com/  The Equa group is doing real-world emission/consumption testing using kit strapped on to the back of the car so that emissions can be measured under all conditions. I admit that there are some which don't comply with the Euro6 spec under all conditions, but the fact that quite a few do means that it can be done. Hence my words "have been proved to be as clean as petrol". You'll have to ask the manufacturers of those that don't why they don't. You are looking for a compliance factor rated at "C" or better in their lists and that means that the emissions are very low indeed.

Interestingly, there are also a LOT of so-called highly efficient petrol-hybrids that show real-world fuel consumption as low as the mid-20s mpg, mainly because they are lugging round a heavy battery all the time. And nobody has yet started measuring the particulate emissions from tyres and brakes, as opposed to engines, but battery-electrics tend to wear tyres and brakes much more rapidly than lighter cars so they probably put out more particulates from those sources.