Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Clean Air Zones

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Diesel Clean Air Zones

Diesel car owners could soon have to pay to drive in 16 cities following a High Court judgment. 

Under the old plans, only drivers of diesel lorries, buses, taxis and in some cases vans would face charges.

But in what will be a deeply politically unpopular move, car drivers may now be included.

It's NOx a laughing matter !

DIESEL CLEAN AIR ZONES.JPGhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3899830/Diesel-owners-face-congestion-charge-drive-16-cities...

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Diesel Clean Air Zones

That would seem to be a completely pointless exercise where I am. It's so expensive to park in town for any length of time that just about everyone parks a few miles away and walks.

With falling revenue from parking this just smacks as another attempt to bring in money. It will just result in even less money being raised by bean counting lazy good for nothing councils who have lost sight of their basic duties to rate payers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If my diesel car causes undue pollution I don't mind paying a fair tax designed to reduce usage.

However the Congestion Charge approach is inherently unfair. You are charged the same amount regardless of the mileage (pollution) undertaken within the Zone. You pay the same £10 if you drive 200 yards or 200 miles. 

A flat rate congestion charge, while administratively convenient, takes no account of the differing amount of pollution produced by different vehicles for the same mileage or indeed for just being within the Zone

Pollution created outside the Zone can drift into the area yet people outside the Zone will pay no Charge.

The A6 Road just outside my front door has heavy traffic all day creating a lot of pollution, yet because our house is outside the Zone there's no mechanism to reduce the traffic/pollution.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Petrol cars next?

Just saying. Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

If my diesel car causes undue pollution I don't mind paying a fair tax designed to reduce usage.

But will you actually reduce your usage? - If not then the tax is pointless.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

But will you actually reduce your usage? - If not then the tax is pointless.

Not if the real point is just another money collecting exercise.

Community Veteran

7up wrote:
But will you actually reduce your usage? 

If the premium over petrol is 50p/litre, I sure would.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Petrol cars next?

Probably, then it'll be humans, loads of CO2 emissions there, plus some other unpleasant exhaust gases (some more than others!!), of course, some humans will be let in, like politickians, cos they're more equal than others... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Will not be long before every town and city jumps on the band waggon and introduces these charges and once they start a increase in the amount every few years is certain