Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you use one?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Did you use one?

Hi All
On Linthorpe Road Middlesbrough there is a old Rabbit mobile phone network transmitter.
Did you use a Rabbit mobile phone?
[quote="BBC"]
History lessons for wireless networks
Barnet in North London has much to recommend it but few would associate it with the history of UK technology.
Yet Platform 1 of New Barnet station is home to a relic of an almost forgotten technology whose demise may hold lessons for anyone cashing in on the current craze for all things wireless.
On the platform is a sign showing that it was once possible to use the Rabbit phone service on the station.
Subscribers to the service, backed by Hutchison Whampoa, could make mobile calls when they were within 100 metres of a Rabbit transmitter.
Read More Here

I nearly Bought one, I am so glad that I did not!
3 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Did you use one?

how did you find that old stuff - date 2002
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@pierre, Search engine.  The Question was did you use one?
As I said: "I nearly Bought one, I am so glad that I did not!"
Community Veteran

I too remember the Rabbit phones, it was obvious they'd fail. The concept was hopeless.  When you want to receive a call find one of their service zones ... about 75 metres radius. The same for making a call.
The financial company I worked in at Year 2000 made a similar crazy decision. One idiot had been out and bought loads of iridium satellite phone handsets in case the PSTN & mobile phone system crashed on 1st Jan 2000. The idea was that executives could maintain contact during the chaos. His smile disappeared when someone ( Roll eyes ) asked him how these executives would get to the roofs of the office blocks to receive incoming calls as the phones would not work inside a large office tower.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.