cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Did you know?

The topic on windscreen dots reminded me... did you know colour laser printers print a feint yellow dot pattern on each page. The pattern is unique to each printer, in effect a serial number which the manufacturers can trace back to the original printer. If you have blue spectacles you can see the dots.
or maybe this should be in the foil hat topic.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Did you know?

and scanners have built in software to recognise money being scanned (apparently)  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Mine didn't but when I tried to scan some money it was Photoshop that coughed up a stop sign.
But the application of a downloaded fix quickly put an end to any objections.
Community Veteran

Getting the right ink is such a pain. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, tax discs as well. Tried it once <out of curiosity having heard about it> and it came out really distorted that wasn't circular and wouldn't have passed even cursory inspection.
Still, it doesn't matter now.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Way back, when there were patrol cars around getting the right colour was the main thing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Petlew
Yes, tax discs as well. Tried it once <out of curiosity having heard about it> and it came out really distorted that wasn't circular and wouldn't have passed even cursory inspection.

i had a scanned tax disc pass a visual check by a police officer once.
in fact it was a scan of an expired one, "fixed" in photoshop to make it non-expired and then printed out on a colour laser.
only took about half an hour to do.
don't ask why i have a scanned copy of a tax disc in the car though......
Fixes: 47

I scanned a £1 note ok but not current currency.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

£1 note - not so common nowadays, but if you grind down 50 pence pieces they make passable 20p coins
nanotm
Pro

my scanner adds the word specimen to currency and other official documents if I try and scan them to file on the pc, but if I just scan them to a memory card plugged directly into the scanner there is no watermarking added and the pc doesn't care if I want to then play with those files or indeed print them which I find strange but probably a flaw in security measure that it requires the pc installed program
still I don't have the right grade of paper to attempt producing counterfeits, i'll leave that to the banks to print money that didn't exist the week before /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
£1 note - not so common nowadays, but if you grind down 50 pence pieces they make passable 20p coins

Shocked
If you're short on 20p coins, send me lots of 50p coins and i'll change em for ya  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

You must think I was born yesterday...one 20p coin out of a 50p coin Huh
If you carefully slice a 50p coin in half you can make two 20p coins Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
rhydsnewi
Grafter

RE codes on banknotes
This was most clearly visible on old "Elgar" £20 notes. The musical score was set up in such a way that the notes marked out a specific code (the same as on US $100 notes) which, as mentioned, would be picked up by Photoshop and the program would refuse to deal with the image.