Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know this ?

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Did you know this ?

Power to require information
23.  (1)  A registration officer may require any person to give information required for the purposes of that officer’s duties in maintaining registers of parliamentary and local government electors.
(2) A registration officer is under a duty to require persons to give information required for the purposes of that officer’s duty under section 3(1) of the Juries Act 1974(15).
(3) If any person—
(a)fails to comply with, or
(b)gives false information in pursuance of,
any such requisition of the registration officer as is mentioned in this regulation, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

The Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001 Section 23, presumably now superseded by the Individual Electoral Registration system that was introduced in June this year.
Fixes: 226

I normally get the Electoral Register form around this time of year which I dutifully fill in Wink
I always request my details to be removed from the open register.
This year both SWMBO and myself have received letters informing us that "The way you register to vote is changing". Under the new system we have both automatically been re-registered although it does make it clear we are not on the open register.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

They must have it in for me, I have been on the register for years, got the same or similar letter to yourself but have to fill in a form enclosed with the letter  giving details which I am sure they have already got with the added threat of being fined for not filling it in.
Strange how I have been able to vote since I was 18 and now I am nearly 70 they want more details from me.
Lived  at my current address for the last 25 years and in the same Town all my life and claim no benefits so  how come they need information they must have already ?
Perhaps I missing something here ? Has anyone else with similar circumstances been asked to fill in a Electoral form ?
Community Veteran

Do they not send a form every year prior to compiling the electoral roll? They're simply checking details are still correct.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
This year both SWMBO and myself have received letters informing us that "The way you register to vote is changing". Under the new system we have both automatically been re-registered although it does make it clear we are not on the open register.

Nice to see that councils are consistent...  We got our letters and it says that we were not on the open register and this continues to be the case with the new system.